Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What Agency just granted STI a contract?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

What Agency just granted STI a contract?

I recently read an article about STI winning a contract. I can't find the article and wanted to reread that article. I thought it was Border Patrol special operations group but cant remember. The gun was a STI 9mm 2011 with optional RDS

Anyone familiar?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I believe it was USMS SOG.

ETA: And I think LAPD SWAT has gone to STI, as well.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 08-14-19 at 19:08.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Correct MountainRaven. US Marshals SOG and LAPD Metro has approved the STI.

STI seems to be actively pursuing the LE market and making the changes required to make inroads. The pistol has real promise for a dedicated end user.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Bingo, that’s it. Gracias. Now I just need to find article.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Long Beach SWAT has also evaluated an STI and seems to have liked it.

https://stiguns.com/longbeach-swat-e...-sti-tactical/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm going to be THAT GUY:

Why did they not just get Glock and put the rest towards salary or something?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

I think that is a valid question. The Glock as a platform has a ton to offer, ease of maintenance, sim pistols for FoF, magazines are really affordable, etc when looking at it as a duty gun. I have no experience shooting the STI's or 1911's other than my MC Operator, but I would really be interested in a gun with that trigger and reliability and mag capacity like a Glock. Yeah, I'd have to find a Safariland basketweave holster ($180) and I'd buy more mags (3x ~$50), but for a SWAT/LE duty gun I am interested in buying performance, and developing the skill to go along with that.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

Video might offer some explanation.

Partially because these organizations have had and like 1911s, but wanted more capacity. Part of it is that it's much, much easier to take things like headshots with a 1911-type trigger and guys like USMS SOG and Long Beach SWAT kinda have that sort of thing in their wheelhouse (and those headshots carry a lot of departmental liability if they miss). And because, not least of all, with the amount of money they spend on training ammunition alone, the money spent on the acquisition of the guns are not hugely significant over the long-term (nevermind the cost of, say, the liability to the government organizations behind them if they have to take a shot and hurt or kill someone they didn't need to shoot).

I believe USMS SOG had Glocks before the STIs. Needless to say, all of these organizations are well aware what Glocks offer, decided to give the STIs a try (when USMS SOG and Long Beach SWAT went to STI, STI didn't have a dedicated LE program), and found them to be the best solution. STI's responsive support for the guns being fielded by these LE organizations, combined with their reliability and durability, also contributed significantly to their decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by babypanther View Post
    I think that is a valid question. The Glock as a platform has a ton to offer, ease of maintenance, sim pistols for FoF, magazines are really affordable, etc when looking at it as a duty gun. I have no experience shooting the STI's or 1911's other than my MC Operator, but I would really be interested in a gun with that trigger and reliability and mag capacity like a Glock. Yeah, I'd have to find a Safariland basketweave holster ($180) and I'd buy more mags (3x ~$50), but for a SWAT/LE duty gun I am interested in buying performance, and developing the skill to go along with that.
    You might find the video above to be of interest. The STI LE rep gives his email (it's on STI's website, too) and is happy to give your department a demo or to let you come to a demo he's running for another department if your department isn't interested. And Safariland holsters are coming - and both M&P and 1911 holsters have been modded to work with STI pistols.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 08-31-19 at 21:23.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    First of all I call BS on "head shots". I call extreme BS. You can, VERY EASILY, perform failure to stop or hostage drills with a Glock. That is giving too much power to the 1911 platform. This has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with status pieces. 2011s can be some nice guns but a 3 to 4K pistol? Plus armorer training? Plus proprietary magazines to do everything a Glock does with a moderately nicer trigger?

Give me a break. This is someone looking to spend money. Also absolutely NEVER talk to me about liability and the cost of a shot. NEVER.

Now....part of me is thinking that maybe they got closeout prices. Like 1500 dollars a pop. Extravagant but not full price. Okay...so account for two or three pieces an officer. USMS SOG isnt that big in the cosmic sense. Neither is LAPD SWAT but that would still be a hell of an expense compared to a more sensible gun.

I'm thinking they took a bite to be able tp say STI guns are seeing "action" but then again they tried 2011s for the military that went nowhere except AMU.

I just see waste here and how you mean to tell me they "need" 2011s. I've seen SOG in action. Left a good impression but they werent exactly Delta Force either.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast