Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What Agency just granted STI a contract?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    You'd think that as the 40SW gives way to 9mm in gaming, that it might have a shot.
    .40 is the only way to go in USPSA Limited unless you shoot all Alpha Alphas, quickly. Most that are shooting to win use .40 or .45 in Limited 10, and 9mm is at an even greater disadvantage in that division. 9mm does has a slight advantage in Production. Lots of guys do well in Open with 9mm, but its ++P+++ with a comp. nothing at all like a service pistol.

9mm is fine in most IDPA divisions.

I would hardly say that .40 is giving way to 9mm in gaming.

Edit: I completely forgot about Carry Optics.
    Last edited by 1168; 09-05-19 at 17:38.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Anybody that can't afford a nice 2011, but want the likes of a double stack 1911, Sig Legion SOA is pretty close. Mine has several thousand rounds and the 226 is a proven platform. The extra case and stupid coin , I could do without. But that gun is awesome.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    ^Spot on (@Norseman)

Also, if an agency wants a duty-capable precision pistol for service use, and they're not highly constrained by budget, you have to wonder if they looked at the Wilson EDC X9. Seriously--if they're looking at the STI, they should be testing the EDC X9 too IMHO. Seems to offer all the benefits of the 1911-platform pistol while addressing some of the downsides (such as higher cap, integral plunger tube, external extractor, etc). On paper, if I had a specific RFP and the STI met it, it's hard to imagine that the EDC X9 would not meet it as well.
    I would guess that:

A- Nobody contacted Wilson about sending a pistol;
    B- Wilson wasn’t interested in sending a pistol;
    C- The pistol didn’t meet one or more of the selection criteria (perhaps capacity or some aspect of the iron sights and how they play with an optic); and/or,
    D- There was a budget that the MSRP $2000-2500 STIs fit that the MSRP $3000+ Wilsons did not.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I would guess that:

A- Nobody contacted Wilson about sending a pistol;
    B- Wilson wasn’t interested in sending a pistol;
    C- The pistol didn’t meet one or more of the selection criteria (perhaps capacity or some aspect of the iron sights and how they play with an optic); and/or,
    D- There was a budget that the MSRP $2000-2500 STIs fit that the MSRP $3000+ Wilsons did not.
    Wilson is stupid to not go for it. They should have tweaked that slide to allow an optics ready platform. I’d like to shoot that gun. Never shot one, but doubt I would hate it.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 09-05-19 at 18:15.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Anybody that can't afford a nice 2011, but want the likes of a double stack 1911, Sig Legion SOA is pretty close. Mine has several thousand rounds and the 226 is a proven platform. The extra case and stupid coin , I could do without. But that gun is awesome.

PB
    I’ve been reading this thread thinking the same thing. Personally, I plan to buy a 229 Legion SAO because I already have a bunch of mags for my 228.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    For gaming, unless major rules changes happen, the .40 is here to stay. It has the capacity over .45 ACP, and it starts with a “4” to appease the old timers that made the rules for major scoring.
    I thought 9mm major was the new hotness. I've mainly been playing Rifle games the past decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

PB
    Forgot about the 226 SAOs. I had a Sig X-5 Tactical. Nice gun. Got rid of it to go to optics. Trigger isn't a 1911, but it was pretty good. Really needed a 4 inch barrel over the 5 and the grip isn't quite big enough for me (length). With the 5 inch barrel and grip, it wasn't quite balanced enough, especially with a light.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I thought 9mm major was the new hotness. I've mainly been playing Rifle games the past decade.
    9mm Major is a thing, but only in Open, and neither the gun nor the ammo have any overlap with duty weapons. Limited requires calibers that start with .4 to qualify for Major scoring.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don’t shoot limited but yeah that keeps.40 alive.

I WILL say that 135 gr Hornady 9mm is on point AF. Esp in a G17 but plays well with a G19.

Like I’m willing to forego Gold Dots and HST for it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Too bad you don't have any Glocks. I've a Grayguns P30 with a short reset and short pre-travel sitting in the safe doing nothing, maybe we could have figured a trade or something. Anyway, that's besides the question I wanted to ask: do you ever get confused which letter to capitalize and which do not in a word "Glock"?
    Yep! Typed that post three times!

Feedback Score
    Because certain gear is considerably better and worth an upgrade. NODS that illuminate the night 1 times as much and or with greater detail for example isn’t the same as a 1911 race gun. A 1911 race gun with an optic and a custom paint job isn’t the same as far as accuracy and reliability goes compared to another proven gun with the same optic and a custom trigger that isn’t even their primary. And while we are on the subject of NODS, an infantryman uses them every day on patrol in the dark.

You guys have really weak arguments justifying blatant abuse of tax payer money. It’s like if I were to say well, it’s okay for SOD to buy a whole new gun next year that is rated for +P+ because the Navy got new scuba gear that lasts an hour longer allowing them to be inserted further away.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast