Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Optic for AR for HD and Hunting?

Feedback Score

Optic for AR for HD and Hunting?

I’m looking for something in the 1 - 8x or 1 -6x that I can use on my Daniel Defense AR. I mostly use this for hunting and prefer some magnification as some of the coyote shoots are several hundred yards. Often hunt at night or low light. I also use this rifle for HD and it has a T1 AimPoint which I would use on my pistol AR. What is recommend in high quality optics and mount for the AR? I’d like to be $1500 or less on optics. I like the 1x option if that’s realistic. Thank you for the input.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    I’m looking for something in the 1 - 8x or 1 -6x that I can use on my Daniel Defense AR. I mostly use this for hunting and prefer some magnification as some of the coyote shoots are several hundred yards. Often hunt at night or low light. I also use this rifle for HD and it has a T1 AimPoint which I would use on my pistol AR. What is recommend in high quality optics and mount for the AR? I’d like to be $1500 or less on optics. I like the 1x option if that’s realistic. Thank you for the input.
    Vortex Razor 1-6 is the best across the board around that price point. Pair it with a quality mount (I chose Geissele), and it’ll be right about at the $1,500 mark. There are a whole bunch of threads on here about the Razor. The only bad thing anyone can complain about with it is the weight, but the newer HD-E lightens it up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    What is better about the Vortex Razor Vs the Trijicon 1-8x?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    One other optic that I would consider is the Primary Arms ACSS Predator. It is probably not considered as durable or as clear as the Vortex. However, you specifically mentioned coyote hunting, and the ACSS Predator is specifically made for that.

Feedback Score
    That looks like a very solid option. I haven’t seen the Primary Arms scope before. Researching it now. Thanks RKB for sending that option. Does it need to use an extended mount or would the standard American Defense QD mount work?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Do you really want to use a scope or LPVO for home defense?

Feedback Score
    I currently use an AimPoint T1 on my main HD AR. That will probably not change. What I’m looking for is a scope that is versatile that I can use for hunting and as an option in HD

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    Do you really want to use a scope or LPVO for home defense?
    I do. Why wouldn’t you?

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Razor without a doubt as long as you’re good spending that kind of coin. I would not bet my life or any other on a PA optic.
    Last edited by ggammell; 08-16-19 at 17:11.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I do. Why wouldn’t you?

Because I truly dont believe it serves the best option for Home Defense and it has some serious limitation vs a RDS. More than likely a HD rifle will be used at extremely close range and in low light. I dont see what advantage a magnified optic that really requires light which is also bigger and heavier brings to the fight. Slower and more complicated in that you have to take time to ensure the magnification level and turn on vs grab and go. Eye box and alignment issues as well.

For me maybe if I knew it would be used outside the house but at my likely distances it wouldn't really offer any advantage.

I do own a 1-6 Razor HD and it is awesome glass and great optic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast