Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Optic for AR for HD and Hunting?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    Because I truly dont believe it serves the best option for Home Defense and it has some serious limitation vs a RDS. More than likely a HD rifle will be used at extremely close range and in low light. I dont see what advantage a magnified optic that really requires light which is also bigger and heavier brings to the fight. Slower and more complicated in that you have to take time to ensure the magnification level and turn on vs grab and go. Eye box and alignment issues as well.

For me maybe if I knew it would be used outside the house but at my likely distances it wouldn't really offer any advantage.

I do own a 1-6 Razor HD and it is awesome glass and great optic.
    ^^^ ALL This.

I don't hunt hogs, but if I did, this is what I'd use. WITH a Vortex Razor 1-6.

But this is what I use for HD.

And this is what I use for range training (dedicated .22 trainer)!

And a spare or two never hurt...

A "one-size-to-do-all" RARELY does. As cheap as AR's are... for the moment... picking up a second one now for HD, would be a prudent investment.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    Because I truly dont believe it serves the best option for Home Defense and it has some serious limitation vs a RDS. More than likely a HD rifle will be used at extremely close range and in low light. I dont see what advantage a magnified optic that really requires light which is also bigger and heavier brings to the fight. Slower and more complicated in that you have to take time to ensure the magnification level and turn on vs grab and go. Eye box and alignment issues as well.

For me maybe if I knew it would be used outside the house but at my likely distances it wouldn't really offer any advantage.

I do own a 1-6 Razor HD and it is awesome glass and great optic.
    Those can all be potential downsides but not if you’ve trained with the optic IMO. My wife’s gun wears an Aimpoint for all of those reasons. But, I’m familiar enough with my Razor that I don’t foresee any issues with those things and it has one huge thing that an Aimpoint doesn’t - an etched reticle. I’ve picked up my wife’s gun at least twice and the dot wasn’t there so it was useless. That’ll never be the case with my LPVO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Nightforce 1-8, NX8 is the shazizzle. Treat yourself to greatness.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    ...has one huge thing that an Aimpoint doesn’t - an etched reticle.
    Advantage in low light scenario such as in house at 0200?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Better than a dead RDS. Or have a weapon light.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Optic for AR for HD and Hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Better than a dead RDS. Or have a weapon light.
    Exactly. HD gun should definitely have a light, but whether you do or not, a black reticle is far better than a red dot sight without the red dot.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If I pick up one of my HD ARs and the dot isn't visible.....the BUIS come up, and I'm still in business. The RDSs are absolutely never turned off.

I also see absolutely no need for magnification in a home defense situation. If I need magnification to identify a threat, then they're not enough of a threat for me to shoot them (barring some extreme circumstances).

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    A 1x capable LPVO is completely usable for HD and if you "only have one AR", it's not a horrible option.

It also depends what you mean for HD - for some people that is inside your apartment in a city, condo / house in the burbs, or house with property in the styx.

While training / etc can make a LVPO very capable in HD, the RDS (aimpoint specifically for me) will rein supreme in my mind due to long battery life (always on) and easy of use up close.

I live in the styx with land and my HD rifle has an Aimpoint T-2 with a 3x behind it. Sometimes I have to shoot pests at longer range and 3x helps with ID and shot placement. It is also slapped out of the way / taken off quickly if I don't need it.

I would use my NX8 for HD without reservation if it's all I had, but it's not so the Aimpoint equipped SBR is my best choice.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    If I pick up one of my HD ARs and the dot isn't visible.....the BUIS come up, and I'm still in business. The RDSs are absolutely never turned off.

I also see absolutely no need for magnification in a home defense situation. If I need magnification to identify a threat, then they're not enough of a threat for me to shoot them (barring some extreme circumstances).
    Sure, obviously BUIS are the best option if the RDS is dead but I’m absolutely better with the Razor’s reticle than I am with irons - both up close and at distance. There is literally no place on my property that I’d use any type of magnification but as I said, I’ll never pick that gun up and not have a functioning optic unless somehow the lens is shattered.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Razor without a doubt as long as you’re good spending that kind of coin. I would bet my life or any other on a PA optic.
    You don’t put much value on your life then eh?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast