Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bipod or sand bag?

Feedback Score

Bipod or sand bag?

Just wondering what you guys/gals prefer shooting with while on a bench, a bipod or a sandbag?

I went to the range today to see how well my Remington 700 Classic 280 Rem. shot 140 gr. Federal Fusion's. It was zeroed with Remington 140 gr. Core-Lokt's.

With both loads I was shooting 2 to 2 1/2 inch groups shooting off my sandbags (w/small rear bag), which is extremely bad for this rifle. Then I put my short bipod on it and my groups were just a tad under an inch with the Fusion's. I never thought there'd be that much of a difference between a bipod and sandbags.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My preference is bipod up front and sandbag on the rear, in the prone. I can do so on a bench but prefer prone. YMMV

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    From the bench, for pure accuracy testing, sandbags front and rear. Once load development is done, bipod front and squeeze bag/pack rear for practice

Feedback Score
    I probably should've went into more detail regarding my rifle. As mentioned, it's a Remington 700 Classic. It came in a nice wood stock. Not wanting to mess the stock up and having had good luck with Bell and Carlson stocks (M40 stocks), I got a B&C Alaskan Sporter stock for this rifle. The new stock makes it a lot lighter then I'm used to and it's quite a bit narrower towards the front of the stock.

When I got the new stock I bedded it from the rear tang to a little over an inch or so in front of the recoil lug. I free floated the barrel too, stock comes with pressure point bumps/tabs in the front of the stock. It still has the factory older style Remington trigger that I adjusted down to ±3 lbs. pull years ago. After switching stocks, I've had issues shooting it off a bench with sandbags.

Obviously this isn't a precision rifle, it's a hunting rifle. However, I like my hunting bolt action rifles to shoot MOA or better. This one always did. Guess I'll just have to use the bipod at the range.

Thanks, NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    My preference is bipod up front and sandbag on the rear, in the prone. I can do so on a bench but prefer prone. YMMV

PB
    That's my preference also. Legs with adjustment to get level if prone.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    for my 308 chassis rifle
    I prefer sand bag on front and squeeze bag on rear when shooting from a bench
    Bipod on front and squeeze bag on rear when shooting prone

for my 7mag hunting rifle just a sand bag on front from a bench. Trying to make practice as much like being in a deer stand as possible.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bipod up front, squeeze or large bag rest in the rear.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

PB
    Also what I've been using, Harris bp up front, bag in the rear. Looking for a better bag so if anybody has suggestions, glad to hear them.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I hate EVERYTHING off the bench. I can never get comfortable.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    When on a bench I like using a Caldwell shooting rest up front and a rear bag for my hunting rifles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast