Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Run & Gun- literally

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)

Run & Gun- literally

Curious, what is the most practical, safest and best way to run short distance with a M4 with sling? I watch YT videos like TRex, Garand Thumb and see them running but not real clear on the exact method, it kinda looks like the keep each hand in the same place as there shooting stance but slightly reposition the arms to bring the rifle closer to the body, and sometimes it looks like they position the stock high up near the head with the barrel facing down and away from body? Do you safety before you start running or just keep trigger finger off trigger?

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    This is one way to do it:

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Exactly ^^^^^
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That Pat Mac video about covers it. When you need to run, run. Safety on, muzzle under control.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    If you dont have a sight picture and do not wish to fire at said sight picture the safety MUST be ON. Nothing else is acceptable! These run and gun You Tube videos have no place outside the square range and its magical 180.

Notice also that Pat has his sling around his neck and is not through it. It gives him so many more options! Last year I made that commitment and will not look back as it allows you to more efficiently flow in and out of ready and carry positions.

For movement I am also a big fan of the high carry position. Pretty difficult to sweep anyone in high carry. Outside the square range your likely moving towards someone. Maybe a team member, loved one or in a crowd.

Personally I'm done with the gamer thing and after more than a decade now more concerned with being a PROFESSIONAL. Yup I use to be the dude that heard the buzzer and went immediately to removing the safety even before my feet moved.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    If you dont have a sight picture and do not wish to fire at said sight picture the safety MUST be ON. Nothing else is acceptable! These run and gun You Tube videos have no place outside the square range and its magical 180.

Notice also that Pat has his sling around his neck and is not through it. It gives him so many more options! Last year I made that commitment and will not look back as it allows you to more efficiently flow in and out of ready and carry positions.

For movement I am also a big fan of the high carry position. Pretty difficult to sweep anyone in high carry. Outside the square range your likely moving towards someone. Maybe a team member, loved one or in a crowd.

Personally I'm done with the gamer thing and after more than a decade now more concerned with being a PROFESSIONAL. Yup I use to be the dude that heard the buzzer and went immediately to removing the safety even before my feet moved.
    Agreed - running without the safety engaged is asking for trouble, and I agree there are people in the competition world who do exactly what you're warning about.

In the video posted above, Pat is engaging the safety before he moves.

I think Frank Proctor has a video (can't find it at the moment) where he talks specifically about using the safety during movement, reloads, etc (i.e. anytime the gun isn't pointed at a target) and demonstrates that doing so doesn't slow anything down once you've established the muscle memory for doing it.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Safety on, always. There is a popular run-n-gun comp, 5K, a lot of those guys use biathlete-type slings, and I have seen some mods to make slings into both-shoulder-backpack-type slings. Me, I have used a LAV or VTAC 2-point and cinched it tight and have done fine.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Safety on ALWAYS, and control the muzzle in some way shape or form

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    As others have said, safety on, distance dictates how to carry.
    2 steps, hand position stays the same, significant distance: on hand at magwell and full sprint.

Same goes for handgun, 4-5 steps, both hands stay on gun, much more and its a normal sprint.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If running, moving awkwardly around objects, etc. For sure... Safety on.

I'm not as strict about only snapping the safety off if I have a sight pic though.... most of us don't run our pistols that way... or even have pistols with manual safeties.

I am a trigger finger out of the trigger guard fanatic however.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast