Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elander mags - newest gen

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Elander mags - newest gen

Anyone using the newest gen of elander mags?
    How are they doing for you?

I’m thinking of getting some. I’m also looking at okay mags. But since I started with Ak’s, I’m scarred to being partial to steel mags

Currently have about 70-80 pmags (mostly gen 2) and about 20+ of the older elanders. No issues so far with the elanders.

Because of stuff I read of cracked pmags....some just stored and empty, nearly all of my pmags are stored empty. The steel mags are stored with 28 rounds.

I like pmags. But it would be sad to open my mag bandolier when the shtf and to see a few cracked mags in there

I’m not worried about a steel mag not working if I fall with my ar. I’m old and I fell because I just died of a heart attack

Which leads to passing on my mags (and bcms) to my kids. I’m thinking the steel will handle aging better than polymer

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim808 View Post
    Anyone using the newest gen of elander mags?
    How are they doing for you?

I’m thinking of getting some. I’m also looking at okay mags. But since I started with Ak’s, I’m scarred to being partial to steel mags

Currently have about 70-80 pmags (mostly gen 2) and about 20+ of the older elanders. No issues so far with the elanders.

Because of stuff I read of cracked pmags....some just stored and empty, nearly all of my pmags are stored empty. The steel mags are stored with 28 rounds.

I like pmags. But it would be sad to open my mag bandolier when the shtf and to see a few cracked mags in there

I’m not worried about a steel mag not working if I fall with my ar. I’m old and I fell because I just died of a heart attack

Which leads to passing on my mags (and bcms) to my kids. I’m thinking the steel will handle aging better than polymer
    Where are you reading about PMAG's cracking, posts from 2005? Kind of funny when you consider that the Gen 3 MCB PMAG is the only magazine approved for combat use by the USMC. Steel mags can be hit or miss also, look up the HK Maritime history, the Elanders might be good to go but I would go with USGI aluminum if I wanted to get away from polymer.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No doubt, pmags are great for combat/marines. I really have nothing against them. But for my situation, old fart not going into combat, I’m more concerned about long term storage while loaded and passing on to my kids.

I admit i’m scarred by my age to trust in steel. I still think my 1911 will outlast my Glock. I still love both of them.

Same love for pmags and why I have about 80 of them compared to about 20 steel.

Thanks for the heads up on issues with steel, I’ll read up on it
    Last edited by tim808; 08-17-19 at 13:58.

Feedback Score
    Aluminum mags have served the US military fine for over 50 years. Magpul Pmags have been thoroughly tested by the military as well. Unless you plan on hammering nails with your magazines I see no need to go with steel. Steel mags are also heavier. I have used all kinds of AR mags and have basically concluded that aluminum D&H or Okay/Surefeed mags or Pmags meet my needs. I have several Lancer mags as well and I haven't had any problems from them either. I have had some mags loaded (pmag and aluminium)for over 10 years and they still function just fine with no signs of cracking or any other problems.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The PMAG impact/dust covers can be used for long term storage, although they're not required.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    One consideration with steel AR mags: they may be too strong.

Suppose you jump into a foxhole, flop down on the ground, etc. in hard training or real use. Steel mag is strong, maybe the trauma cracks your aluminum lower receiver.

But aluminum or poly mag just breaks, and is discarded and replaced with no damage to the rifle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I never considered a steel mag damaging a lower

Since there is no love for the newest elanders, I’ll try some aluminum mags.

I’ll load up the 3 different types and report back in 10 years :-)

Just wondering:
    • Does the military test long term storage of loaded mags
    • Does the military even store loaded mags for long periods

Feedback Score
    I got a few elanders way back in the mag drought of 2013. They're heavy and I had to shave the followers to prevent them sticking in the mag body.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    They elander 6.5 grendal mags are gtg

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    One consideration with steel AR mags: they may be too strong.

Suppose you jump into a foxhole, flop down on the ground, etc. in hard training or real use. Steel mag is strong, maybe the trauma cracks your aluminum lower receiver.

But aluminum or poly mag just breaks, and is discarded and replaced with no damage to the rifle.
    I can't say I've ever heard this.

I believe the IDF uses E-Lander mags in their Tavors and M4 pattern rifles. They don't seem to be concerned about the steel mags damaging firearms and I doubt they'd be using them if it were an issue.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 08-18-19 at 08:48.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast