Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Free Burma Rangers (Must see)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

The Free Burma Rangers (Must see)

A truly amazing story of amazing people, one guy in particular. I just listened to podcast about them on Snap Judgement which is focused mostly on their Iraq work. A collection of people, a few yanks with mil backgrounds, a Syrian, Iraqi private, a Burmese fighter, etc deliver aid and directly fight ISIS. No back back up, no CAS, nadda other then the favors they can call in. Their Christian faith is what drives them, or at least the key player (Dave Eubank), some there for adventure, some out of a need to help and be in the thick of it, some who only feel alive in war perhaps. One guy quit the SEAL teams and joined them because he didn't feel being a SEAL was enough adventure. They go all over the world in conflict zones, providing aid, going direct action when needed.

Listen:

https://snapjudgment.org/the-badlands

Their web site:

https://www.freeburmarangers.org/multimedia/videos/

The group often records what they're involved in. In Iraq, a big massacre occurred by ISIS. There was an area no one would go, including the Iraq army. These guy talked a tank into assisting them with cover, and under horrific fire, went out to save people:

That poor baby was pulled from her mothers dead arms:

And she's here while they risk their lives to save some men among the slaughter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Y9xpaf-2Y

I can't fathom this level of sacrifice, bravery, and lunacy, all rolled into one. There's even a part of me that wants to pack up my 50+ year old ass, drop everything, and go do that. Of course I'd probably be dead within a week or so having no mil training, etc, so common sense is going to prevail.

I'm at a loss for words with this one.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 08-17-19 at 15:04.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Do it!

In the absence of wife, kids, grandkids, etc.,
    What is holding you back?

The excitement of Day after day of broken old has beens touring their museum?
    The thrill of Day after day of starry eyed youth coming to the museum and finding out the idealized hero of their youth was never a SEAL?
    The soul affirming fulfillment of reviewing mediocre recently available to rent mediocre movies?

Sixty to eighty is not going to be the most kick ass, awesomest twenty years of your life.

They might be cooler if filled with memories of bedding hundreds of humanitarian nurses and doctors half your age while saving innocents and pumping lead into monsters.

Or at worst you punch at at 59 with claymores strapped to your chest and a clacker in each hand while sprinting into a horde of savages while the convoy of orphans make it to safety;
    Instead of at 75 from a blood clot in your lung after breaking a hip lying on the floor in a pile of piss after falling from a stroke while you were looking for your dentures in a sketchy assisted living facility.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    Do it!

In the absence of wife, kids, grandkids, etc.,
    What is holding you back?

The excitement of Day after day of broken old has beens touring their museum?
    The thrill of Day after day of starry eyed youth coming to the museum and finding out the idealized hero of their youth was never a SEAL?
    The soul affirming fulfillment of reviewing mediocre recently available to rent mediocre movies?

Sixty to eighty is not going to be the most kick ass, awesomest twenty years of your life.

They might be cooler if filled with memories of bedding hundreds of humanitarian nurses and doctors half your age while saving innocents and pumping lead into monsters.

Or at worst you punch at at 59 with claymores strapped to your chest and a clacker in each hand while sprinting into a horde of savages while the convoy of orphans make it to safety;
    Instead of at 75 from a blood clot in your lung after breaking a hip lying on the floor in a pile of piss after falling from a stroke while you were looking for your dentures in a sketchy assisted living facility.
    You make some compelling arguments, but the GF of almost 20 years would be tad upset, I have no thyroid, so without a reliable source of thyroid meds, I will not last long, and I don't have the faith, the training, or the nads, for it I suspect. I guess if I made sure I had enough thyroid meds to exist for say 6 months, could be done, but lose those some how, there's no corner CVS to refill it. While I have not done that level of "adventure" I have had my experiences to be sure and have not lead a boring life.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    All I can say is wow, and thanks for posting this as I never heard of the Free Burma Rangers before. Those men are living John 15:13.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I seem to remember seeing these guys in an issue of SoF around the time that the last Rambo movie came out (it took place in Burma/Myanmar). Didn't realize they were in the Middle East, too. Thanks for posting, Will.
    Owner/Instructor at Resolute Response

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    All I can say is wow, and thanks for posting this as I never heard of the Free Burma Rangers before. Those men are living John 15:13.
    Well, no one can say he/they don't put their $ where their mouth is and get right into the chit to help and or fight.

Quote Originally Posted by William B. View Post
    I seem to remember seeing these guys in an issue of SoF around the time that the last Rambo movie came out (it took place in Burma/Myanmar). Didn't realize they were in the Middle East, too. Thanks for posting, Will.
    Per the name, Burma appears to be primary AO, but in Syria, Iraq, etc. Lots of vids from different areas on their page.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    It is heartbreaking that a group like this needs to exist, it is heartwarming to know they do.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    It is heartbreaking that a group like this needs to exist, it is heartwarming to know they do.
    Has there ever really been a time in human history where such groups were not needed? Nope...
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Has there ever really been a time in human history where such groups were not needed? Nope...
    Very true.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Listen to Ep 119 of the Global Recon podcast ;-)

A lot of ex SOF guys have continued helping in areas they served in after they get out. Understandable given the amount of training and risk involved to want to keep up the effort in some compacity.

The 'running and saving the kids' photos/video from Iraq were guys who served in those same areas, and went back to support Golden Brigade guys they trained in official capacity.
    Last edited by Belmont31R; 08-17-19 at 23:34.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast