Thread: PWS Mod 1 Mk 2 lower with ambi controls or BCM upgraded to ambi controls

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

PWS Mod 1 Mk 2 lower with ambi controls or BCM upgraded to ambi controls

On the verge of setting up another lower with ambi controls. Typically I've gotten a BCM from Rainier or G&R, add the ambi controls and go from there. Or get a Rainier Arms lower, then add BCM LPK and ambi parts.

PWS has their Mod 1 Mk2, which I can get for close to the same price as the BCM + upgraded parts. Both would also be upgraded to BCM A5 with A5H2 buffer, and Sprinco green rifle spring, so that is a wash. The only appeal of the PWS, I guess, is the ambi controls are built into the lower (mag catch and bolt release), it has the ratcheting castle nut included (which will save staking). I'm interested because of being a lefty and never have owned a 'true' ambi lower, always upgraded with the B.A.D. ambi selector and Troy mag catch.

Is the PWS worth it, is their quality/reliability g2g? Never even fired one. I find some older threads here at the forum, mostly positive, and even one where LAV commented positively on PWS's overall quality. But this was their products back in 2011, not the Mk 1 Mod 2 I'm looking at.

Feedback Score
    I have heard good things but don't own one.

If I was looking for an ambi lower LMT Mars, Radian, and American defense would be at the top of my list

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Have you considered LMT's MARS full ambi lowers?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yep, I see a couple available, checking reviews. Also like the ones mentioned in everready73's post. Also I didn't realize until today, but Rainier Arms actually makes an ambi lower. They get knocked--sometimes with good justification--for making kind of pricey/gucci versions of things, but I have found the quality, durability, features, and finish of just their plain forged lowers to be excellent. When it comes to ambi though, I can't find much info about the track record of the Rainiers or any of the others. The LMT definitely has the most well known and longest track record, and only costs a few bucks more than the others, so I'm leaning that direction.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    One other thing I just realized is the LMT includes the ambi safety mechanism in that price--none of the others I'm looking at do for a stripped lower. Also the LMT ambi safety again, has a great record of combat reliability. It's surprisingly hard to find a duty/hard-use capable ambi selector, I've had several break over the years, and with so many options on the market, it's hard to know what ambi safety you can rely on. The only ones that have been 100% for me have been the B.A.D. CASS ones. Since the LMT bundles a quality ambi safety, that's another +.
    Last edited by maximus83; 08-18-19 at 18:50. Reason: fix sentence

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Please note that a semi-stripped LMT MARS-L lower will not be function checked for the simplest of mechanisms, such as that ambi safety.

The safety on mine was not machined completely and did not function properly until they sent me a functioning, new (though...blemished and without the LMT logo) safety. But I doubt any other ambi lower can claim military adoption. I like mine, problem notwithstanding.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I like an ambi safety with a shorter lever on the right side. Colt makes an ambi safety in that configuration which can be bought for around $40 or so. I like the LMT MARS-L lower, just not their safety.

Feedback Score
    I have that PWS lower...It's nothing special when you compare it to an ambi lower that has a bolt hold open feature like a Radian or ADM.

The Radian is the most intuitive ambi lower I've personally tried out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Radian and ADM look good--can't find the Radian in stock anywhere.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good input, it was interesting looking at all these ambi lowers out there. To save folks more posting, in the end I decided instead to stick with what I've been doing to save $$$, complexity, and having different operating systems in my small handful of rifles: straight up BCM or Rainier forged lowers (not the ambi ones), add a quality safety selector (BAD, Radian), ambi CH, and Troy ambi mag catch. I don't care about the ambi bolt catch, honestly, even as I lefty I just run the existing one with my index finger.

Would welcome thoughts on if that makes sense or if I'm really missing some world-changing breakthrough with the 'true ambi' lowers. Up to this point it has worked, sometimes what you're already doing is the best thing.