Thread: SilencerShop kiosk vs eFile vs Paper submission with Trust

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

SilencerShop kiosk vs eFile vs Paper submission with Trust

I get that the advantage to the SilencerShop kiosk is convenience and, I think, speed.

I purchased a suppressor (there’s a thread) recently, and trying to figure out if there is a good reason to not use the kiosk. Part of me is concerned about privacy, etc.

Adding to that, is there a positive to filing by paper rather than eFile or SilencerCo? When “they come,” will eFile have made “it” easier for “them”?
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    To be clear, eFile is for Form 1 only. If you using the kiosk for a Form 4, it’s still being “paper filed”.

Based on everything I’ve seen, going through SS might be considered more convenient (I personally don’t use them), but there is a delay in getting forms created, docusigned, submitted, etc. I can buy a can locally today and the heck will be cashed by the end of the week. Buy through SS and you might see 3-6 weeks before that happens.

You’re in the registry regardless of submission method.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The advantage with the kiosk is that your fingerprints are on file electronically and you can provide your photo with an app on your phone. I have been doing single shot trusts lately and the paperwork take < 5 minutes and done via docusign. I get copies of the completed documents the next day via email or if done in the morning I get them that afternoon.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    To be clear, eFile is for Form 1 only. If you using the kiosk for a Form 4, it’s still being “paper filed”.

Based on everything I’ve seen, going through SS might be considered more convenient (I personally don’t use them), but there is a delay in getting forms created, docusigned, submitted, etc. I can buy a can locally today and the heck will be cashed by the end of the week. Buy through SS and you might see 3-6 weeks before that happens.

FWIW this wasn't my experience going "electronic" with SS at all. Turn-around was much quicker than I was used to since I didn't have to "make time" to do anything & could click a few buttons and they'd process everything w/o me lifting a finger or driving anywhere. For me at least, it's the only way to file Form 4's.

Disclosure: I'm in no way affiliated w/SS nor am I being compensated for my opinion in any way. Just an unbiased first-hand-account of my personal experience.
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.

Tactical Commander Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    They really serve difference purposes. For anything Form 1 you are far better off doing the e-file. For Form 4 Silencer shop is the only way to go.

I will never do physical forms again.

'
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post

The last can I did through SS had the check submitted within a couple days.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    FWIW I've seen a few Form 4s from SS come back with errors that probably would've been caught by a knowledgeable brick & mortar SOT before anything was mailed to ATF.

One was a misspelled name in the responsible persons section, so not a big deal. The other was a trustee (with full rights of possession in the trust) who was left off of the Form 4 completely (not listed as a responsible person, no finger prints or photos, and no 5320.23 filed).

It suggests that if you plan to use SS, it pays to understand what you should be doing and to triple check everything yourself.

Don't count on SS catching errors before submitting your forms to ATF. And if there are errors it's on your local dealer to catch and correct them, not SilencerShop, so make sure the local guy has his shit squared away before buying your item.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Thanks for the input, gentlemen.