Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: How Reliable is a 14.5" with Carbine Gas System?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    More like a quarter of a century.....

Wrong
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    A Colt 14.5" carbine length gas systems is more reliable than any midlength system on a consumer rifle with a consumer dimension gas port; which is the vast majority of midlength systems.
    All of my space zombie hunting guns have Colt M4 barrels so I think I'm GTG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    A Colt 14.5" carbine length gas systems is more reliable than any midlength system on a consumer rifle with a consumer dimension gas port; which is the vast majority of midlength systems.
    What about BCM 14.5" carbine length gas guns?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSplumber View Post
    The more I read, the more I question whether my 14.5" carbine length gas rifles are reliable enough to trust for Home Defense or use in harsh conditions in comparison to midlength 16" rifles. Do the 14.5" carbine-length gas rifles have any advantage at all? I suppose this would call into question the reliability of 11.5" carbine gas guns as well wouldn't it? Since it requires an even larger gas port which could make it try to extract too early with too much force to cause a jam.

The only potential advantage I could think of is that the carbine gas would cycle weaker .223 better in colder conditions, but most 16" mids seem to handle weak ammo just fine, don't they?
    I didn't even know there was a worry about 14.5 ARs at this point. Extremely short barrels, yes, but 14.5? First time I have even heard that was a concern in modern ARs and even the ultra shorties from quality producers seem to be very reliable these days.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just finished putting a couple hundred more rounds through a 11.5" carbine gassed upper (with a reduced gas port), and it's been flawless. I expect this to continue for a loooong time.

Any upper that Colt, BCM, Sionics, Centurion, LMT, KAC, etc sells is going to work reliably.....or they wouldn't sell it.

Shoot more......worry less.
    Last edited by grizzman; 08-24-19 at 16:35.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I believe this dead horse has been beaten enough.
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910