Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Reliable is a 14.5" with Carbine Gas System?

Feedback Score

How Reliable is a 14.5" with Carbine Gas System?

The more I read, the more I question whether my 14.5" carbine length gas rifles are reliable enough to trust for Home Defense or use in harsh conditions in comparison to midlength 16" rifles. Do the 14.5" carbine-length gas rifles have any advantage at all? I suppose this would call into question the reliability of 11.5" carbine gas guns as well wouldn't it? Since it requires an even larger gas port which could make it try to extract too early with too much force to cause a jam.

The only potential advantage I could think of is that the carbine gas would cycle weaker .223 better in colder conditions, but most 16" mids seem to handle weak ammo just fine, don't they?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    A properly built 14.5" AR will work perfectly well with quality mags and ammo. You're overthinking this a bit. While the design isn't entirely optimized compared to mid-length gas systems, to think of a properly built 14.5" carbine gassed as unreliable is far from correct.

Edited to add: If I had started out with a Colt 6920, I would have bought a second one and never looked back for general use ARs.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 08-17-19 at 16:59.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Lol, are we in reverse land now? It was only 3-4 years ago where everyone was questioning whether 14.5" midlengths were reliable enough to trust under adverse conditions.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You’ll be fine.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSplumber View Post
    The more I read, the more I question whether my 14.5" carbine length gas rifles are reliable enough to trust for Home Defense or use in harsh conditions in comparison to midlength 16" rifles. Do the 14.5" carbine-length gas rifles have any advantage at all? I suppose this would call into question the reliability of 11.5" carbine gas guns as well wouldn't it? Since it requires an even larger gas port which could make it try to extract too early with too much force to cause a jam.

The only potential advantage I could think of is that the carbine gas would cycle weaker .223 better in colder conditions, but most 16" mids seem to handle weak ammo just fine, don't they?
    Did you just randomly think up these problems with 11.5" and 14.5" guns, or did you read it on some forum or FB group?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Did you just randomly think up these problems with 11.5" and 14.5" guns, or did you read it on some forum or FB group?
    ^ Exactly! Wherever you’re reading this, steer clear.

Feedback Score
    Actually, I've read mostly about it on here, along with the Crane tests that show the carbine to have a dismal round count between stoppages compared to midlength. But then again, that was with M855A1.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Actually, I've read mostly about it on here, along with the Crane tests that show the carbine to have a dismal round count between stoppages compared to midlength. But then again, that was with M855A1.
    I dont know what threads you were looking at but most threads have been the opposite. The carbine length gas system has been the gold standard for decades.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

How Reliable is a 14.5" with Carbine Gas System?

Is your personal rifle seeing the same firing schedule and round count as those used in military testing? The 14.5” carbine has been fielded long enough to make this a nonissue. I wouldn’t worry, but that’s me...
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 08-17-19 at 18:15.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Stop reading. Buy more mags. Buy more ammo. Train more.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast