Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Reliable is a 14.5" with Carbine Gas System?

Feedback Score
    Can we please not make this a multiple page thread? Shit like this makes my head hurt. Go shoot that 14.5 until you have a stoppage then worry about trivial things. That damn crane report has caused a lot of silliness around here.

Oops just noticed that I myself turned this into a multiple page thread. So sorry. So sorry.
    Last edited by Eazyeach; 08-17-19 at 18:14.

Feedback Score
    American and U.S. Allies have been killing bad guys worldwide for nearly a half century with 14.5" carbines. I think you will be fine.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Outside of needing to be a little more vigilant inspecting gas rings and such as the round counts get higher, my 11.5" guns have been extremely reliable.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSplumber View Post
    Actually, I've read mostly about it on here, along with the Crane tests that show the carbine to have a dismal round count between stoppages compared to midlength. But then again, that was with M855A1.
    Your question is logical. But given we can control the tasks and conditions, you won't have any problem if you buy quality.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Your question is logical. But given we can control the tasks and conditions, you won't have any problem if you buy quality.
    We can control the tasks and conditions, but I still want the rifles I own to be able to take the type of hardship a rifle does in harsh combat conditions. Yes, it's nearly impossible that I'll actually be in those situations, but if I'm going to own an AR15 (I do, just speaking in general) that I trust my life to even for just home defense, I want it to be combat-grade reliable.

Feedback Score
    We can control the tasks and conditions, but I still want the rifles I own to be able to take the type of hardship a rifle does in harsh combat conditions. Yes, it's nearly impossible that I'll actually be in those situations, but if I'm going to own an AR15 (I do, just speaking in general) that I trust my life to even for just home defense, I want it to be combat-grade reliable.
    14.5 carbine gas is "combat-grade" reliable.

From the Army in 2009:
    The Army is committed to continuous improvement in all of our weapon systems.
    For example, the reliability requirement for the M4 is 600 Mean Rounds Between
    Stoppage (MRBS). The demonstrated current reliability is over 3600 MRBS as a result
    of our continuous improvement program.
    Even with M855A1 the MRBS for the M4A1 is about 1700 rounds, and it's only that low because M855A1 is retardedly overpressure. M4s were not designed to handle that cartridge. So of course the 14.5" mids they tested did better, because the round is so ridiculously overpressured that it would probably function well even in a 16" gun with a rifle length gas system (which are notoriously unreliable with any normal 5.56 or .223).

Midlength 14.5" guns are known to have problems cycling weaker ammo. BCM says as much on their website that it's only designed to fire full-power 5.56 and may not run with .223. A lot do, but there's more than enough instances of them having problems that it's not arguable that the 14.5" mid is closer to that threshold of being unreliable than a 14.5 carbine. Throw in .223 pressure ammo, sub-freezing temps, and mud and crud, and it is more likely to have problems than a carbine gas gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well then you can rest easy with a 14.5” carbine from a quality manufacturer.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Carbine gas systems have been the Gold standard for years, and to some they still are the Gold Standard.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Buy a 6920 and move on with life.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Huh? What do you think most of the military has been using for how many years now? Oh, that’s right, M4s and M4A1s. FYI, they happen to be 14.5” and carbine gassed.

But apparently that’s not “combat-grade reliable” enough for you.

Why don’t you spend more time shooting and less time focusing on silly concerns like this.

I want it to be combat-grade reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast