Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: How Reliable is a 14.5" with Carbine Gas System?

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Just for clarity, SOF was already using the M4A1, with the gov profile barrel.
    Correct, however they were experiencing barrel failures with the govt. profile barrels due to their tactics of using their carbines like a SAW. Once the heat treatment issues with the bolts were solved, and the heavy SOCOM barrels came along, the SCAR 16 was abandoned (as it too was experiencing barrel failures, go figure).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The only thing that the colt SOCOM has going for it over the BCM option you mentioned is brand recognition and therefore resale value. I’d 100% get the BCM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fair enough, what would you say the advantage of buying the BCM upper and lower is over the Colt? I’d want to buy an H2 buffer to replace the H1 in the BCM lower, but that’s not a big deal and I could use a spare buffer anyway.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSplumber View Post
    Fair enough, what would you say the advantage of buying the BCM upper and lower is over the Colt? I’d want to buy an H2 buffer to replace the H1 in the BCM lower, but that’s not a big deal and I could use a spare buffer anyway.
    FWIW, I've always used Colt SOCOM barrels in my builds and they are freaking accurate for a chrome lined barrel. On top of that, I have total faith in their ability to take hard use should the need arise.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

How Reliable is a 14.5" with Carbine Gas System?

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The only thing that the colt SOCOM has going for it over the BCM option you mentioned is brand recognition and therefore resale value. I’d 100% get the BCM.

I lied, there’s two things - the other is accuracy. Colt SOCOM barrels are typically very accurate while BCM opens up a tad. We’re talking a pretty minuscule amount really, like one MOA at most IIRC. But it is worth noting.

I think the working parts are pretty close to being the same - both very good quality. But, the extra stuff you get with the BCM (Gunfighter line of accessories) is what makes it my preference - trigger, trigger guard, grip, charging handle, stock, etc.

Last edited by Wake27; 08-19-19 at 18:49.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I picked the BCM SOCOM upper because the price is better, and I know the materials are right.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

How Reliable is a 14.5" with Carbine Gas System?

Same experience here. I cannot speak to the BCM 14.5” SOCOM, but I have two Colt 14.5” SOCOMS and I’m extremely happy with both. The accuracy is great and they are both smooth. I too use an H2 buffer in both.

One is a Colt M4A1 Property US Gov complete carbine, and the other is a complete Colt 14.5” SOCOM upper purchased through G&R. This upper was matched with a complete Colt M4 lower I bought when Brownell’s was selling them.

I’m sure a BCM would be just fine - I’m just a Colt guy.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I can't speak for the BCM barrels, but I can tell you the two Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrels I have are consistently good shooters and are gassed right. A 14.5" barrel with an H2 buffer is 100% reliable with surprisingly smooth recoil for a factory AR. MOA with blaster ammo is around 2 to 2.5 MOA and drops to just under 1 MOA with quality ammo loaded with the 75 gr Sierra HPBT Match King.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Just for clarity, SOF was already using the M4A1, with the gov profile barrel.

Love your screen name. Had some wild times on that road.
    SOF did buy a few thousand SCARs, but dropped them for a variety of reasons, one was no great reliability increase over the M4, one was a return to commonality with the rest of the Army, and the last was the recoil shock levels were higher than the M4 which MAY cause decreased reliability of rail mounted accessories.

The SCAR has higher kinetic energy and shock levels than the M4A1....
    b. Bolt kinetic energy
    i. The SCAR bolt recoil kinetic energy is 130% to 160% higher than the M4A1.
    ii. The SCAR bolt counter-recoil kinetic energy is 230% to 360% higher than theM4A1. (Both due to the SCAR having a 78% heavier bolt, and a longer bolt throw.)

Feedback Score
    Bcm vs colt: from my experience and that of others posted:
    Both are reliable
    Bcm is more than accurate enough for me, and I can get a complete upper how I want out of the box.
    Colt is more accurate and the socom is the closest you will get to a precision CL barrel, except maybe xxx. (Cant think of the name, maybe proof research that has produced consistent moa or less from a CL barrel).

Molons tests show colt to be slightly, but consistently more accurate than bcm.
    I still went bcm for “want” reasons.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    SOF did buy a few thousand SCARs, but dropped them for a variety of reasons, one was no great reliability increase over the M4, one was a return to commonality with the rest of the Army, and the last was the recoil shock levels were higher than the M4 which MAY cause decreased reliability of rail mounted accessories.
    We also hated the charging handle, weight distribution, and that it really didn’t bring much to the table vs M4a1. I think I remember a durability issue with the stock, also. It was tested both in training and combat, so I would say we gave it a fair chance.

Also, I suspect that if we adopted the SCAR we would still be using less than full length handguards.

As to blowing up gov profiles, that never affected 75RR as far as I know. Sounds like something that would happen in a team too lazy to bring a Mk46 to the party. We did break a few bolts.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The more I read, the more I question whether my 14.5" carbine length gas rifles are reliable enough to trust for Home Defense or use in harsh conditions in comparison to midlength 16" rifles. Do the 14.5" carbine-length gas rifles have any advantage at all? I suppose this would call into question the reliability of 11.5" carbine gas guns as well wouldn't it? Since it requires an even larger gas port which could make it try to extract too early with too much force to cause a jam.

The only potential advantage I could think of is that the carbine gas would cycle weaker .223 better in colder conditions, but most 16" mids seem to handle weak ammo just fine, don't they?

A Colt 14.5" carbine length gas systems is more reliable than any midlength system on a consumer rifle with a consumer dimension gas port; which is the vast majority of midlength systems.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast