Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mag Springs

Feedback Score

New Mag Springs

Bought a new AR a while back, just now really getting started shooting it. I have a number of USGI mags that followed me home at one point or another when I was still enlisted. I've been out for about ten years now, and haven't had an AR in almost as long. Had some failures to feed with the aluminum body mags, but not with the Pmag that came with the rifle. Thinking it might be a good time to replace the mag springs in all my GI mags. Where's your preferred place to buy mag springs for them?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Brownells has them: https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...777-47773.aspx

Since you're at it I would also recommend replacing followers with magpul. Cheapest I've seen them was at dsg arms: https://dsgarms.com/magazines-kt-mag111de-10

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It's entirely possible that new springs and followers will make the mags reliable again, but it's also possible the mags could be worn out or damaged in subtle ways.

A detailed inspection might be in order.

However, It's probably easier to just load up on some new PMAGs.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Brownell's was the first place I looked, just wasn't sure if somebody had somewhere else they liked better.

However, when I got home I got to digging in the safe and I don't have as many mags as I seem to remember. Half of them for sure need new followers, too. Looks like I need to get more mags, period.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    Brownell's was the first place I looked, just wasn't sure if somebody had somewhere else they liked better.

However, when I got home I got to digging in the safe and I don't have as many mags as I seem to remember. Half of them for sure need new followers, too. Looks like I need to get more mags, period.
    All 30's or some 20's too? What is wrong with the followers?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    With current availability and pricing, better to just buy new aluminum 20 & 30s and keep the old ones as spares / trade fodder.

You start replacing springs & followers, price adds up pretty quick - and if it doesn't work, you still don't have a reliable magazine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    wolff

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    With current availability and pricing, better to just buy new aluminum 20 & 30s and keep the old ones as spares / trade fodder.

You start replacing springs & followers, price adds up pretty quick - and if it doesn't work, you still don't have a reliable magazine.
    Its 2019 and people are still married to their mags. Chuck it and get a new one.

If it has some nostalgia value then frame and a put it on your wall, not in your gun new springs, or otherwise.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yeah I love the "I rebuild my magazines every year with new followers, springs, and floorplates..." $1.50, $3.39, and $1.99... So for $6.88 you can 'rebuild' your magazine so it might work, or for $7.99-9.99 you can buy a brand fracking new one.

Obviously people in bans states have issues sometimes, but I just use them until the fail then drop them into a storage box. If the worst happens, I'll have a number of mags to fix up / trade off for spare parts, etc.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Yeah I love the "I rebuild my magazines every year with new followers, springs, and floorplates..." $1.50, $3.39, and $1.99... So for $6.88 you can 'rebuild' your magazine so it might work, or for $7.99-9.99 you can buy a brand fracking new one.

Obviously people in bans states have issues sometimes, but I just use them until the fail then drop them into a storage box. If the worst happens, I'll have a number of mags to fix up / trade off for spare parts, etc.
    ^^^^THIS^^^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast