Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Mag Springs

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    All 30's or some 20's too? What is wrong with the followers?
    All 30's. Couple of 2005's with the green follower. Couple 1992 with the black one. After a couple more range trips, the older follower mags are the problem. Had to be more observant. When PSA has new ones for 7.99, I'll grab a few of them before too long.

I definitely get putting all new guts in an AR mag isn't too economical. Made sense to get some Wolff extra power springs for some Beretta mags a while back, though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    All 30's. Couple of 2005's with the green follower. Couple 1992 with the black one. After a couple more range trips, the older follower mags are the problem. Had to be more observant. When PSA has new ones for 7.99, I'll grab a few of them before too long.

I definitely get putting all new guts in an AR mag isn't too economical. Made sense to get some Wolff extra power springs for some Beretta mags a while back, though.
    Assuming no readily apparent body or feed lip issues, I think I would store those and buy new mags since new springs are usually a large part of the cost of a new magazine.

Kinda doubt the followers are the issue unless damaged. Best I can recall the mint green, while being an improvement over black, really only came about to correct some sort of feeding issues with Sanchez? contract magazines.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 08-20-19 at 09:35.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Are those Magpul dark earth followers the same as the yellow ones?
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yup.

These are probably the best USGI followers available.

https://www.magpul.com/products/enha...uctColor=VO345

Quote Originally Posted by uffdaphil View Post
    Are those Magpul dark earth followers the same as the yellow ones?

This article covers the major USGI evolutions pretty well.

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/08/16...zine-for-m4a1/

Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Assuming no readily apparent body or feed lip issues, I think I would store those and buy new mags since new springs are usually a large part of the cost of a new magazine.

Kinda doubt the followers are the issue unless damaged. Best I can recall the mint green, while being an improvement over black, really only came about to correct some sort of feeding issues with Sanchez? contract magazines.

Replacing the black and green followers would be a good upgrade.

https://dsgarms.com/magazines-kt-mag111de-10

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For the price of rebuilding mags with new fillers and springs, you should consider just buying more new mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    It's entirely possible that new springs and followers will make the mags reliable again, but it's also possible the mags could be worn out or damaged in subtle ways.

A detailed inspection might be in order.

However, It's probably easier to just load up on some new PMAGs.
    This. Changing mag springs in my opinion is rarely appropriate. The number of cycles of compression that would diminish the spring's performance would likely exceed the life of the mag body. Replacing dented/fatigued mag bodies would likely be more realistic.

But simply buying new mags is the most logical financial approach.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    As has been said: just buy new mags. Easy button.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12