Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much heavy revolver ammo to have on hand

Feedback Score
    I’d just concoct a similar load for hiking/camping/hunting and load an ammo can full of it for about what the Buffalo Bore costs. IMHO BB is making this for folks that don’t handload. Get some Starline brass, a couple pounds of Unique, a brick or two of primers and several pounds of wheel weights.
    I normally carry factory for SD against two legged predators but the BB 4E is going to be a bit over penetrating for that role in an urban setting. If someone attacks me in the bear woods I don’t care what’s in the gun, and a rural Grand Jury probably won’t either.

Feedback Score
    Double Tap
    Last edited by Gunnar da Wolf; 10-03-19 at 18:06.

Feedback Score
    I really like the Buffalo Bore 4e/20, it's not too hard on my aging hands and wrists, and it's accurate out of my 29-2 and 629. For some fun, pick up an old-school Lee Loader and play with some lighter loads. I'd say 100 rounds on hand is a good start.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I would go 100. It’s just never bad to have some stash and prices are great right now. Mark and I also have a stupid amount of components and I buy factory twice a month prepping for the election.

PB
    My man...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Minimum of 1000 or more of each caliber. SHTF quantities INCREASE by at least 10X for common defense firearms.

AMMO, GUNS, FOOD, and WATER.............not necessarily in that order. GUNS and AMMO to defend the food and water!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I mean I guess people can keep replying if they want...

Im pretty sure the 60 rounds I bought will last my lifetime...

Feedback Score
    I have only gone through 30 of the original 50 of those loads that I bought with mine 5 years ago. If you want to shoot that type of round on a regular basis a steel framed gun is a lot more pleasant. Better yet, heavy 45 colt in a steel frame will get the same result with a lot less pressure. The only time mine isn’t loaded with specials is when I’m amongst grizzlies

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I went thru the same thing when I bought my Smith 29. After hitting up a few garage sales and some armslist deals, I ended up with a little over 1500 rounds of 240gr. .44mag ammo. More than enough to last me and my son's the rest of our lives.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Call me “overly cautious”; I keep a couple hundred heavy/cast hunt loads for the .41/.44/.45Colt on hand.
    I never know when I’ll have the opportunity to head out on a hog hunt.

Like others, I load my ammo and have an obscene amount of components/powder on hand.
    I’ve lived through a few “panics” and am comfortable with excess these days.
    Great post and mindset. I've been of the opinion for a very long time that I still dont have too many of anything firearms/ammunition/gear related. I just dont know what too much/many looks like. I love that, "I'm comfortable with excess", well said. Closest I'd come would be to say I "may" have too many different calibers, but I doubt it.
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

BCM 16" RECCE MK2 DkBrz, Custom Mk12 Mod1 built by Monty LeClair, 16" Middy w/ HCS RECCE barrel, A5, Young NM BCG, SSP, Geissele NM rail, Ops Inc., Super CH. 14.5" middy Noveske Afghan X3, 10.3" pistol DD barrell, Benelli M4, Ruger 10/22 w/Victor stock, GLOCK 17 Gen 4, Dan Wesson Valor Duty Coat, Dan Wesson Valor Blue, Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm, S&W 27 4"

B Co 4th502nd Inf Reg. '86-'90. 11b
    B Co 3rd187th InfReg. '90-'94. 11b
    Iron Rakkasans

Feedback Score
    As much as you can afford. I reload and am always grabbing components here and there to add to the collection. You never know when things will change and make it harder or more expensive to get.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast