Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How much heavy revolver ammo to have on hand

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thwack View Post
    As much as you can afford. I reload and am always grabbing components here and there to add to the collection. You never know when things will change and make it harder or more expensive to get.
    Like now. There is a components seller on GB I always check out, for about a year he has had basically the same lots for sale, and really nice, high quality bullets. He sells a lot here and there but basically the same stuff. In the last week every single lot he has listed has multiple bids. I went ahead and bid on a few myself.

Too, if you just browse the pages of GBs reloading section it seems there are WAY more bids than usual. Powder dealers are out of darn near everything, including primers. People are crazy!

Since my job shut down I've spent a week(so far) in the armory and I've loaded over 2000 rounds of different calibers but the bulk was 5.56. I've been sitting on 5K of some 62gr TBBC so why not now. Also loaded 200 rounds of 240gr 44mag, so 158gr 357mag. So now I have 500 rounds of 44mag
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

BCM 16" RECCE MK2 DkBrz, Custom Mk12 Mod1 built by Monty LeClair, 16" Middy w/ HCS RECCE barrel, A5, Young NM BCG, SSP, Geissele NM rail, Ops Inc., Super CH. 14.5" middy Noveske Afghan X3, 10.3" pistol DD barrell, Benelli M4, Ruger 10/22 w/Victor stock, GLOCK 17 Gen 4, Dan Wesson Valor Duty Coat, Dan Wesson Valor Blue, Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm, S&W 27 4"

B Co 4th502nd Inf Reg. '86-'90. 11b
    B Co 3rd187th InfReg. '90-'94. 11b
    Iron Rakkasans

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thwack View Post
    As much as you can afford. I reload and am always grabbing components here and there to add to the collection. You never know when things will change and make it harder or more expensive to get.
    I reload too. What's your preference on keeping ammo loaded? I prefer to keep my components, and only keep a few hundred rounds in stock to shoot, as needed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've got H110 and 2400 with a mix of jacketed and cast bullets available. On the heavy end, I usually only have 50-100 rnds loaded. Milder stuff (standard to heavy for caliber pushed at about 900fps) I try to keep stacked a little deeper with 200-300 on hand.

If it comes down to it, I have enough Unique and Bullseye to last a long while. I am still shooting primers sfrom the mid-80s (although I don't have many of those left and the selection is dwindling). Despite this, whenever the hazmat fees are waived or someone does one cent hazmat, I add primers and maybe a little powder to the stash.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I know, old thread. But, since we are well into the 2020 ammo pandemic I'll throw in my 2 cents.

44 mag. Great choice. The 329PD, also a nice plan for lightweight, full size carry.

Ammo availability... even in December 2020 I am finding 44 mag, 180, 240, and 300 grain factory ammunition in stock (granted, not much) in a few stores and occasionally online at pre panic pricing. 44 mag did not immediately evaporate from the shelves like 9mm did. I am located in the midwest and have found 44 mag (and a few other very interesting calibers) available on the shelves at gun stores and hardwardware stores in two states. I've recently seen it online two places for respectable prices but you gotta jump if'n you want it.

Keeping a stash? As much as makes you feel comfortable. If you have a rifle/carbine in same caliber, probably triple your stash if the stash is a smaller amount. If you reload, it all depends on components. I'd say 100 to 150 BB level ammo, the same amount of 300 XTPs and if possible, another 50ish rounds PD type ammo and some practice stuff, mabey 200 or so.

And don't forget 44 Special. Works fine for many needs in a 44 Mag. Double your fun.

If you can afford it, more is generally gooder.

Read Max Prasac's books on big bore revolvers for some good learning on these revolvers. Entertaining and fun. Made me want something much larger than 44 mag. Just because.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234