Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much heavy revolver ammo to have on hand

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

How much heavy revolver ammo to have on hand

Just bought a S&W 329PD for a backpacking/hiking/camping gun.

I understand what I bought, need no comments there.

I believe I have narrowed my focus on ammo to the Buffalo Bore 4e which was developed with this gun in mind.

I have to order it vs. trying to drive all over DFW to every little gun shop to see if anybody carries this load... i.e. im not doing that...

So...how much should I order to keep on hand...

My gut says 100 rounds(5 boxes)... My realistic side says 2 boxes...maybe 3.

1 box to practice and zero the gun with and 1 box for carry(6 in the gun and I have 2 HKS speed loaders=18 rounds).

I just cant see myself shooting THIS load regularly and I believe it would be "easy" to replace if I needed to. I may shoot 1 cylinder per year of this ammo, so again, easy to replace down line.

I am setup to reload 44 and have at least 300 rounds of practice ammo and 5 boxes of Hornady 300g XTP factory ammo also, so im covered there.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I think 100 rounds is fine- I usually only have 50 to 100 rounds of heavy 45 Colt/454 Casull loaded and ready to go. I always have several hundred cast bullets and H110 to make more, tho.

Feedback Score
    Well, for myself, 100 rounds of the 'sledgehammer' load would be a lifetime supply.

I have a couple 44 Mags, and they are both steel Rugers. Even they are not much fun to shoot with the 320gr cast WFN at 1250 fps. I loaded up 100 of them about 10 years ago, still have about 80 left......grin. For most uses, I'm pretty happy with 240gr at about 1000 fps.

So I think you are on the right track. 100 rounds is probably going to be more than plenty, unless you are a glutton for punishment.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Call me “overly cautious”; I keep a couple hundred heavy/cast hunt loads for the .41/.44/.45Colt on hand.
    I never know when I’ll have the opportunity to head out on a hog hunt.

Like others, I load my ammo and have an obscene amount of components/powder on hand.
    I’ve lived through a few “panics” and am comfortable with excess these days.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ive got plenty of components to load 44 special/mag, although I dont think I have any super hard cast or the semi jacketed stuff that some of the Buffalo Bore/Garrett stuff comes with. I think I just have a 500 round box of 240g cast lead(no clue its hardness) and maybe 150 300g Hornady XTP projectiles.

Im thinking I will order 3 boxes(60 rounds) and that will be plenty. Almost $1.75 per round has me choking a little LOL. My precision 6.5c doesnt cost that LOL.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If the political climate changes revolvers will probably be the last and least affected but panic buying and price hikes will eventually catch up to them. So my answer would be 500. Obviously you won't be using it much but that way later on you're not paying higher price

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    If the political climate changes revolvers will probably be the last and least affected but panic buying and price hikes will eventually catch up to them. So my answer would be 500. Obviously you won't be using it much but that way later on you're not paying higher price
    im going to need a loan to buy 500 rounds of Buffalo Bore LOL... Im not spending 1000 bucks on ammo that I will never shoot.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    The classic question one hears in threads like this is: "What do you plan on using this ammo for?"
    You answered that in the first post. Backpacking, camping and hiking are unlikely to require expending much ammo in real life over a lifetime, and the combo of 3 boxes of the BB and 5 boxes of the 300gr XTP's (DocGKR's favored round) will do just fine.
    Practice, on the other hand, might burn up a lot more if you shoot a lighter load, and you have to decide on how much you're going to practice. It sounds like you've got that covered.
    If backpacking/hiking/camping becomes "The Road", all bets are off...
    Last edited by Bruce in WV; 08-18-19 at 19:33.
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia.

Feedback Score
    Agree with Arik, do you think your ammo will be available during any panic/unknown event?

If not then I’d buy as much as you can reasonably afford.
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Firstly, I love the buffalo bore 158gr gold dots for my 357 ruger gp 100 and even more so for my Marlin 1894c.
    Do you have or plan to get a lever gun to match the cal of your wheel gun? If so, I can tell you from first hand experience the fun of shooting those big rounds improves a lot from a lever gun. You’ll need more ammo. If not, then two boxes of buffalo bore will do. A handful of same weighted cheap bullets for practicing/plinking would be nice to keep as well.

I also have a 44 lever gun, but I don’t like the buffalo bores for it. It likes the 225gr leverevolutions the most, so I have 10 boxes of those on hand. But I plink and play and even hunt with it. It’s not a “just in case” hiking sidearm. YMMV.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast