Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much heavy revolver ammo to have on hand

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post
    Agree with Arik, do you think your ammo will be available during any panic/unknown event?

If not then I’d buy as much as you can reasonably afford.
    This gun would not be in my SHTF fantasy world so im not necessarily concerned with stocking a ton of ammo for it. Ive got tons of 9mm for that.

Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    Firstly, I love the buffalo bore 158gr gold dots for my 357 ruger gp 100 and even more so for my Marlin 1894c.
    Do you have or plan to get a lever gun to match the cal of your wheel gun? If so, I can tell you from first hand experience the fun of shooting those big rounds improves a lot from a lever gun. You’ll need more ammo. If not, then two boxes of buffalo bore will do. A handful of same weighted cheap bullets for practicing/plinking would be nice to keep as well.

I also have a 44 lever gun, but I don’t like the buffalo bores for it. It likes the 225gr leverevolutions the most, so I have 10 boxes of those on hand. But I plink and play and even hunt with it. It’s not a “just in case” hiking sidearm. YMMV.
    Ive got a 45/70 lever gun.

I dont THINK I would want a lever gun in this caliber...and if I did, this particular 44mag load would not be what I would run anyway. I would go much heavier and harder hitting.

Feedback Score
    100-200 rounds on hand of your serious business ammo, put it in a sealed ammo can.

The real treat will be finding an acceptable practice load to maintain proficiency and enjoy your blaster. I reload so it’s not an issue keeping my .454 Casull in relatively mild practice ammo that makes it a lot of fun to shoot.

Good luck OP and enjoy your new wheel gun!

Feedback Score
    I have about 60 rds of 44mag. But I don’t really shoot it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For dedicated carry load in the woods your 60-100 rds factory is fine considering you handload. I would spend future money on similar weight coated hard cast bullets and powder. Work up a slightly reduced volume practice load, and have some of similar velocity to the factory for less frequent more realistic practice.

Shoot a box of the BB factory for familiarization and as a baseline for handloads (POI, velocity, etc).

Living and vacationing in just black bear territory I figure my handloads of 240 gr coated hardcast or 300 gr XTP will be enough for any wildlife I encounter. I don’t see that the .44 magnum needs a super duper load that I can’t assemble myself. I have a 10 gr Unique load I shoot about 70% of the time for trigger/sight practice, and a full power W296 load for each bullet I shoot for realist recoil practice on my M29 Mountain Gun.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Got my 60 rounds in today.

I will shoot a few over the chrono to see what they are doing then eventually build a similar load.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Very interested in your range trip AAR re chrono results and controllability. Looking forward to the results of your test.
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in WV View Post
    Very interested in your range trip AAR re chrono results and controllability. Looking forward to the results of your test.
    I have been so busy at work that I havent gotten time to go shoot. I avoid the range on the weekends like the plague.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    When I had a 629MG, I kept 200-300 heavy loads on hand, but they were almost all handloads. I rarely kept more than 40 rounds of factory Winchester 250gr Partition Gold on hand (but about 60-100 of the handloads were PG's). I used the handloads I'd loaded identical to factory for zero and practice before a hunt.

The remainder of my handload heavy loads were hard cast LSWC's.

Had I had a 329PD instead of the MG, I probably wouldn't have kept that many heavy loads on hand, for obvious reasons! LOL
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    3-4 boxes of your defense load and 500 rounds of SHTF ammo. Be sure to fire your selected defense load to verify POI and get a feel for the amount or recoil. I order my ammo on-line using ammoseek to find the best price for in stock ammo. You sometimes find your second or third choice on sale for a great price, and that's the time to buy it!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I would go 100. It’s just never bad to have some stash and prices are great right now. Mark and I also have a stupid amount of components and I buy factory twice a month prepping for the election.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast