Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .300WM or 6.5CM? Going beyond .308/7.62

Feedback Score
    Very interesting.

What kind of powder are you running?

Are your matches sighters and 10 for record or sighters and 20 for record?

What is your cleaning schedule?

What do you clean with?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy70 View Post
    Very interesting.

What kind of powder are you running?

Are your matches sighters and 10 for record or sighters and 20 for record?

What is your cleaning schedule?

What do you clean with?
    H4350, H4831SC, and Varget.

I shoot Berger Hybrid bullets heueally 5-10 thousandths off the lands.

Lapua brass, some Remington brass (that’s very sorted and highly prepped), and at one point Norma.

CCI primers exclusively...BR2 and BR4.

My rifles that I own/have owned for competition were built by GA Precision, Crescent Customs, Accuracy International, and Ryan Hunt.

My cleaning schedule is “clean when it’s no longer accurate” which is about once every 4-500 rounds. I clean with a nylon brush, a jag, patches, and a guide. I use a carbon cleaner, sweets, and Kroil/JB depending on how difficult it is to get it where I want it.

It usually takes 10-20 rounds after a cleaning to settle back in.

I know the old men at concrete benches may see this as unconventional, but it works. The reality is guns either shoot squeaky clean or well-fouled. It’s that transitional stage that gives problems.

The matches here in F-Class are 20 for record. Sometimes they do multi-range matches with zero sighters, and shoot 5 for record at each yard line...five shots on individual half-inch dots at 100, and a
    200 yard group. Then five on an F-Class target at 300-800.

The same rifle I also shoot PRS with. Which is “hit the targets as fast as you can”. You may go through a stage with two magazines in under two minutes. You may just shoot one or two shots.

Maybe the old guys clean the life out of their barrels? I don’t know. I’m running a 6mm Creedmoor now which I expect to get 1200 out of. My last 6mm was a 6mm Rem AI that lasted around 900, but that’s significantly more powder and speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    How many reloads can you get with the brass you are using before the primer pockets get too big?

Nice to know the Creedmoor is holding up. I got a reamer for 6.5X284 but did not get around to building one. Instead I went with a custom reamer for 6.X06 that would deliver 3015 fps with a 142 Sierra.

Shot it in one match before I got rearended which got C5,6 and 7 fused in my neck and ended my prone shooting.

I have that one designated for a SHTF rifle now as it is very comfortable to carry even though it has a 27" barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy70 View Post
    How many reloads can you get with the brass you are using before the primer pockets get too big?

Nice to know the Creedmoor is holding up. I got a reamer for 6.5X284 but did not get around to building one. Instead I went with a custom reamer for 6.X06 that would deliver 3015 fps with a 142 Sierra.

Shot it in one match before I got rearended which got C5,6 and 7 fused in my neck and ended my prone shooting.

I have that one designated for a SHTF rifle now as it is very comfortable to carry even though it has a 27" barrel.
    On my .260 Rem I have some cases that are on firing number 12. They weren’t as firm on the last priming as they were on the previous. They will retire after next firing.

I haven’t taken the Creedmoor that many because 1x firer brass is basically free.

When I shot 6.5-284, they lasted six to seven firings.

When I shot 6.5x47, you may not believe it, but I had some on 20 firings with good pockets. The key is to not chase speed, but chase repeatable accuracy and the smallest ES possible. Anneal every other firing, not over-size it, and avoid the dreaded donut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Great info Isllc, we have some 300WM RWS brass that is well over 10 firings of hot loads. Im talking 225 ELD's at 2887 fps. I love that brass, but cant find it anymore. My new go to brass is the new kid on the block, ADG brass. I've run a lot of Lapua and Norma but not as beefy as RWS or ADG. ADG is in-between Norma and RWS in weight.

I wish I was more disciplined about round counts on my barrels.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    The key is to not chase speed, but chase repeatable accuracy and the smallest ES possible.
    We saw this with 6.5. Sellier & Bellots blaster load required 2 more mils of come up, but got way more hit predictability that American Gunner.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Tikka all the way. Bergera is accurate but that side bolt release gets issues from dust. My 3006 b-14 hunter's got jammed while riding on the tractor during hay season. Never happened on my remmy's but I've have had other issues with them so I'm not defending them lol..... Soil in the area has a lot of clay so clay dust which managed to work its way in there. The indicator on the bolt shroud sticking out worries me some but haven't had issues with it yet. Otherwise good gun just something to be aware of.

The Tikka's I've played with have been nice.

ETA: posted this because I saw discussion in the thread of rifle manufacturers.
    Last edited by non-hallal; 12-28-19 at 21:13. Reason: Explanation.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by non-hallal View Post
    Tikka all the way. Bergera is accurate but that side bolt release gets issues from dust. My 3006 b-14 hunter's got jammed while riding on the tractor during hay season. Never happened on my remmy's but I've have had other issues with them so I'm not defending them lol..... Soil in the area has a lot of clay so clay dust which managed to work its way in there. The indicator on the bolt shroud sticking out worries me some but haven't had issues with it yet. Otherwise good gun just something to be aware of.

The Tikka's I've played with have been nice.

ETA: posted this because I saw discussion in the thread of rifle manufacturers.
    Moral of the story, DO NOT BUY A BERAGRA to take on a tractor for a hay ride in high clayed soil. Nope don't do it, its plain stupid of you.

Sorry hallal, but please

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 01-04-20 at 21:45.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    yeah dust will really work on lots of systems. The worst dust in the world (last I heard) was middle east dust and the dust used at Aberdeen was manufactured to duplicate it. It looks exactly like what your wife has in kitchen and it if got changed out she wouldn't know it till the biscuits didn't rise.

I saw a M14 tested and the muzzle was completely sealed with duct tape, a round was chambered and the blower was stopped and bolt opened, round came out with a teaspoon full of dust that had got past the loaded round and up into the bore ! ! ! !

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    If this is mainly a heavy range rifle, get what you like shooting. But I'd consider: roughly same ballistics with same projectiles, but extremely reduced recoil with the 6.5--like roughly half the recoil energy. Due to its great SD, the 6.5 is effective at deep penetration (more so than .308) and this plus the great ballistics and reduced recoil is why some service snipers are switching. You vastly increase your hit probability, like 50% at 1000 yards and that's vs .308. The .300WM would do better at 1K than .308 due to improved ballistics, but the heavy recoil takes a toll on your accuracy too.

For all those reasons, I see no reason to take the extra ammo cost, and recoil cost, of the .300WM for a civilian rifle. If you were shooting at *really* ELR type distances, you wouldn't be using 6.5CM or .300WM, you'd be looking at other calibers anyway. I don't see much role for the .300WM in a civilian rifle now, unless you just enjoy shooting it, or doing LR hunting of larger game.
    Thank you for the best answer to this question I've read. What is the biggest game we can hunt with 6.5C?
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast