Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: .300WM or 6.5CM? Going beyond .308/7.62

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd00000 View Post
    Thank you for the best answer to this question I've read. What is the biggest game we can hunt with 6.5C?
    You will get 100 different answers to that one. For me, probably Big Mule deer. Yes you could kill Elk, but thats 30 magnum area for me. People have killed Elk with a 243, but that doesn't make it ideal, especially out west with longer shots.

PB

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    You will get 100 different answers to that one. For me, probably Big Mule deer. Yes you could kill Elk, but thats 30 magnum area for me. People have killed Elk with a 243, but that doesn't make it ideal, especially out west with longer shots.

PB

PB
    Thank you.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd00000 View Post
    Thank you for the best answer to this question I've read. What is the biggest game we can hunt with 6.5C?
    Depends on range you plan to take it, how picky you’re going to be with shots, etc.

IMO the 6.5 has the sectional density to do it, but you need energy. Rule of thumb is 1500 FPE which means you can shoot 450-550 yards depending on your DA and how selective with shots you are.

Myself, I’d prefer a 7mm or 30 magnum for elk. Moose, you’ll be ok with a 6.5 from the storied I’ve been told they are a bit less tough than elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Depends on range you plan to take it, how picky you’re going to be with shots, etc.

IMO the 6.5 has the sectional density to do it, but you need energy. Rule of thumb is 1500 FPE which means you can shoot 450-550 yards depending on your DA and how selective with shots you are.

Myself, I’d prefer a 7mm or 30 magnum for elk. Moose, you’ll be ok with a 6.5 from the storied I’ve been told they are a bit less tough than elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I'm now ready to start my first precision rifle build.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    About two years ago I wonder this myself. I called and spoke with two different bullet techs at Hornady. I am in North Carolina. Both said that shooting white tail deer in NC, which are not the biggest, they said my range of what would be considered ethical would be 300 yards and under. They told me that while the 6.5 Creedmoor is great for long range target shooting after 300 yards it loses the energy to ethically kill game, while still keeping velocity up enough to be very accurate at longer ranges 800 yds to 1,000 yds. I know this won't sit well with a lot of you, but if you do the research 6.5 creedmoor is NOT the best 6.5. It is the best 6.5 for loading in a magazine. That's were it shines, semi autos with a magazine. There are plenty of other rounds that are good with less recoil than .300 win mag. I myself tinkered with the .280 rem. Try calling federal or hornady. For deer hunting under 300 yds for the price of ammo, recoil on your shoulder, and availablity before the corona virus its hard to beat .308 win. I found a deal on a 5R ($713.99 shipped to FFL, grabagun.com) and it makes one hole at 200 yds with federal gold match 168s. It's supposed to be better with 175s. 168 gr gold match can be found for 17.99 a box. I have hunted with Speer Gold Dot 168 gr. I can find those for 19.99. Tough to beat.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    They shoot <2,000 lb. Moose in Sweden with 6.5 X 55. Very similar ballistics to 6.5 CM.

Key is heavy for caliber, well constructed bullet for adequate penetration.
    Last edited by gaijin; 03-20-20 at 20:11.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Is that the 6.5 Swede? Or is there such a thang

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    There is (sucha thang) and it is (the same) PB.
    (:

You stay safe.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yep, the 6.5x55 has proven to be a very capable cartridge, within its limits.

If I were particular about shot placement and distance, I'd feel comfortable going after Elk with a 6.5 Creedmoor, but see no reason to do it. The 7mm Rem Mag or even .270 Winchester (with bonded 150s and 160s) relaxing in the safe will get the job done better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A couple coworkers have been hunting big time with the 6.5 CM over the last 5 or so years. Multiple elk and mule deer here in Az taken with it. My friends last elk was a cow around 450 pounds shot at around 450 yards using a Bergara HMR with Hornady 143 ELD-X ammo. Animal was shot broadside behind the shoulder and the bullet was found expanded under the off side hide. The elk died within a few yards of where it was shot.

Prior to getting the Bergara my friend used a 270 for the last couple decades. He is seeing the same results he got with the 270.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234