Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .300WM or 6.5CM? Going beyond .308/7.62

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

.300WM or 6.5CM? Going beyond .308/7.62

Planning a REM700 build and not sure which caliber I should go with.

6.5CM seems to be the bees knees now but I always liked the .300WM.
    Nullus amicus melior - Nullus inimicus perior

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    These are apples and oranges.

What’s the purpose/use?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If this is mainly a heavy range rifle, get what you like shooting. But I'd consider: roughly same ballistics with same projectiles, but extremely reduced recoil with the 6.5--like roughly half the recoil energy. Due to its great SD, the 6.5 is effective at deep penetration (more so than .308) and this plus the great ballistics and reduced recoil is why some service snipers are switching. You vastly increase your hit probability, like 50% at 1000 yards and that's vs .308. The .300WM would do better at 1K than .308 due to improved ballistics, but the heavy recoil takes a toll on your accuracy too.

For all those reasons, I see no reason to take the extra ammo cost, and recoil cost, of the .300WM for a civilian rifle. If you were shooting at *really* ELR type distances, you wouldn't be using 6.5CM or .300WM, you'd be looking at other calibers anyway. I don't see much role for the .300WM in a civilian rifle now, unless you just enjoy shooting it, or doing LR hunting of larger game.
    Last edited by maximus83; 08-18-19 at 16:07.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ll have both set up for long range- one for steel and one for hunting. If you’re only shooting targets, 6.5 Creed. The additional cost and wear are unnecessary and the excess recoil is detrimental.
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 08-18-19 at 21:43.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    If this is mainly a heavy range rifle, get what you like shooting. But I'd consider: roughly same ballistics with same projectiles, but extremely reduced recoil with the 6.5--like roughly half the recoil energy. Due to its great SD, the 6.5 is effective at deep penetration (more so than .308) and this plus the great ballistics and reduced recoil is why some service snipers are switching. You vastly increase your hit probability, like 50% at 1000 yards and that's vs .308. The .300WM would do better at 1K than .308 due to improved ballistics, but the heavy recoil takes a toll on your accuracy too.

For all those reasons, I see no reason to take the extra ammo cost, and recoil cost, of the .300WM for a civilian rifle. If you were shooting at *really* ELR type distances, you wouldn't be using 6.5CM or .300WM, you'd be looking at other calibers anyway. I don't see much role for the .300WM in a civilian rifle now, unless you just enjoy shooting it, or doing LR hunting of larger game.
    Thank you for the best answer to this question I've read. What is the biggest game we can hunt with 6.5C?
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd00000 View Post
    Thank you for the best answer to this question I've read. What is the biggest game we can hunt with 6.5C?
    You will get 100 different answers to that one. For me, probably Big Mule deer. Yes you could kill Elk, but thats 30 magnum area for me. People have killed Elk with a 243, but that doesn't make it ideal, especially out west with longer shots.

PB

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    You will get 100 different answers to that one. For me, probably Big Mule deer. Yes you could kill Elk, but thats 30 magnum area for me. People have killed Elk with a 243, but that doesn't make it ideal, especially out west with longer shots.

PB

PB
    Thank you.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd00000 View Post
    Depends on range you plan to take it, how picky you’re going to be with shots, etc.

IMO the 6.5 has the sectional density to do it, but you need energy. Rule of thumb is 1500 FPE which means you can shoot 450-550 yards depending on your DA and how selective with shots you are.

Myself, I’d prefer a 7mm or 30 magnum for elk. Moose, you’ll be ok with a 6.5 from the storied I’ve been told they are a bit less tough than elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Depends on range you plan to take it, how picky you’re going to be with shots, etc.

IMO the 6.5 has the sectional density to do it, but you need energy. Rule of thumb is 1500 FPE which means you can shoot 450-550 yards depending on your DA and how selective with shots you are.

Myself, I’d prefer a 7mm or 30 magnum for elk. Moose, you’ll be ok with a 6.5 from the storied I’ve been told they are a bit less tough than elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I'm now ready to start my first precision rifle build.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    About two years ago I wonder this myself. I called and spoke with two different bullet techs at Hornady. I am in North Carolina. Both said that shooting white tail deer in NC, which are not the biggest, they said my range of what would be considered ethical would be 300 yards and under. They told me that while the 6.5 Creedmoor is great for long range target shooting after 300 yards it loses the energy to ethically kill game, while still keeping velocity up enough to be very accurate at longer ranges 800 yds to 1,000 yds. I know this won't sit well with a lot of you, but if you do the research 6.5 creedmoor is NOT the best 6.5. It is the best 6.5 for loading in a magazine. That's were it shines, semi autos with a magazine. There are plenty of other rounds that are good with less recoil than .300 win mag. I myself tinkered with the .280 rem. Try calling federal or hornady. For deer hunting under 300 yds for the price of ammo, recoil on your shoulder, and availablity before the corona virus its hard to beat .308 win. I found a deal on a 5R ($713.99 shipped to FFL, grabagun.com) and it makes one hole at 200 yds with federal gold match 168s. It's supposed to be better with 175s. 168 gr gold match can be found for 17.99 a box. I have hunted with Speer Gold Dot 168 gr. I can find those for 19.99. Tough to beat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast