Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .300WM or 6.5CM? Going beyond .308/7.62

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Gun, Rem 700 was the obvious first gun choice for years, but now Bergara and Tikka...have made better off the rack options.

Caliber, apples to alligators. For me 300WM blows 6.5 away due to heavier bullets delivering the payload. But our 6.5's have been fun and CHEAP to shoot acceptable factory ammo. All the Pro's and Cons have been laid out above.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I’m all about the Big Horn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    ^Agree with the point about looking to another action besides R700. I just sold my last one. My R700's were all ok over the years I owned them and never had to return a single one to the factory for an issue. But....the R700 factory action is just inherently mediocre. Accuracy usually isn't great, neither is the Xmark trigger. The welded-on bolt handle is ridiculous. The extractor is weak and that's why every R700 clone replaces the extractor with a better design such as Sako-style or M16-style extractors.

There are so many good factory rifles today that solve these problems and shoot accurately right out of the box: Tikka, Bergara, Ruger RPR, etc. I went with Tikka after finally ditching my last factory Remmy. Whatever caliber you go with, if not getting a spendy custom rifle, I'd consider checking around before getting the Remmy.
    I couldn't have said it any better. When talking factory rifles, even a good Remington 700 is lacking and outdated when objectively compared to a Tikka or Bergara.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Howa even guarantees sub moa on the actions and rifles.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    260A3B00-AD58-4B24-B78C-97705D665878.jpg

Give the Tikka a hard look. I’m currently building a medium range rifle on a Tikka T3 I picked up for $425. It’s a 243 which I’m considering rebarreling to either a 6.5 or a 308. I put it in a KRG Bravo chassis and put a $10 Elay trigger spring in it which dropped the pull weight to a crisp 1.5 lbs.
    Last edited by BG94591; 08-21-19 at 17:12.

Feedback Score
    Long range shooters generally figured a barrel was on it's last walk when it passed 500 rounds. The 6.5 should give you a few hundred more.

The longer the bullet the higher the friction is on top of the lands and if you look them with a good bore scope you will see the tops of the lands looking like dried up mud holes with heat checking which some refer to cracks.
    '
    Had a friend give me a 7MM Rem Mag barrel and I borescoped it for giggles and the throat was not that worn but the tops of the lands were heated THAG.

He said he could clean it and about the end of a 20 round string it started throwing fliers and this is because the checking (cracks) scrap off bullet jacket material and the more copper that is entrapped on the top of the lands the quicker your ability goes South.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    6.5 CM: 147gr ELD, .351 G7, 2725 FPS. 24" barrel

300 Win Mag: 230gr Target Hybrid, .368 G7, 2800 FPS. 26" barrel

Personally, I have the 300 Win Mag with a 1/9 Bartlein barrel and with the 230gr Target Hybrid loaded by Copper Creek I am getting an average velocity of 2880 FPS measured using a LABRADAR chronograph. If you get their 300 Win Mag 230 gr Hornady A-Tip the G7 BC is .414 and velocity is 2770 FPS from a 26" barrel. Muzzle brake is your friend.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy70 View Post
    Long range shooters generally figured a barrel was on it's last walk when it passed 500 rounds. The 6.5 should give you a few hundred more.

The longer the bullet the higher the friction is on top of the lands and if you look them with a good bore scope you will see the tops of the lands looking like dried up mud holes with heat checking which some refer to cracks.
    '
    Had a friend give me a 7MM Rem Mag barrel and I borescoped it for giggles and the throat was not that worn but the tops of the lands were heated THAG.

He said he could clean it and about the end of a 20 round string it started throwing fliers and this is because the checking (cracks) scrap off bullet jacket material and the more copper that is entrapped on the top of the lands the quicker your ability goes South.
    A “few hundred more” than 500 and its on the way out for a 6.5? Bullshit.

I’ve taken various 6.5mm bores well over 2,000 rounds and won competitions time and time again with that kind of wear. I won an F-Class match with a 6.5 barrel with 2200 on it.

It depends on the cartridge, not the bore. A 6.5-284, yeah you may toast it in 800 or 900. To 6.5x47, .260, etc and you’ll double or triple that.

It isn’t the bullet that wears out barrels. It’s the explosion of powder. The more powder being burned, the more pressure. If that pressure spikes in the throat as it usually does, it wears the throat faster.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    A “few hundred more” than 500 and its on the way out for a 6.5? Bullshit.

I’ve taken various 6.5mm bores well over 2,000 rounds and won competitions time and time again with that kind of wear. I won an F-Class match with a 6.5 barrel with 2200 on it.

It depends on the cartridge, not the bore. A 6.5-284, yeah you may toast it in 800 or 900. To 6.5x47, .260, etc and you’ll double or triple that.

It isn’t the bullet that wears out barrels. It’s the explosion of powder. The more powder being burned, the more pressure. If that pressure spikes in the throat as it usually does, it wears the throat faster.

Yea, 700 rounds and the barrel is toast-Nope, maybe left out a digit, typo....

Glad to know you got that round count from your high end guns. Thanks for sharing.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    I couldn't have said it any better. When talking factory rifles, even a good Remington 700 is lacking and outdated when objectively compared to a Tikka or Bergara.
    I read this all the time. But I've never found any of the Rem 700 we've ran/are running to be lacking in any area over anything else. Yes that factory trigger is trash, and we bedded the actions. But after adding a cheek riser and a Nightforce, they've never been a problem.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast