Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geissele Super Dynamic 3 Gun trigger not for duty use?

Feedback Score

Geissele Super Dynamic 3 Gun trigger not for duty use?

I fondled a Geissele SD-3G recently and loved it. I'm putting together an AR pistol and thought it'd be great for it. Smooth single stage, 4#, crisp break, and rapid reset.... So I'm curious. What is it about the trigger that has Geissele saying

"We do not recommend it for duty use, bench rest, accuracy work or shooting small groups. It is designed for close course competition use where rapid target engagement with quick follow up shots are required"

I'm missing something. Why wouldn't it be good for duty, bench, or accuracy?
    Last edited by Strength Of Arms; 08-18-19 at 23:41.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    The trigger is very light and the reset is very short. To the point where I was unintentionally doubling on a rifle with an SD-3G wearing a Noveske 18" barrel 3-gun irons upper with an SJC Titan on it.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    It’s considered too light for duty. I have more rounds on my SD-E than any other trigger, ever and despite usually trying to be pretty good about trigger discipline, I jumped it too early a few months ago. I was coming up on target so round hit the dirt in front of the stand and wasn’t an issue, but still bothers me and proves the idea that there can be such a thing as too light for real life situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I don’t like mine, even for 3 Gun. I too have had several doubles and triples even in what I felt were benign situations.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    The trigger is very light and the reset is very short. To the point where I was unintentionally doubling on a rifle with an SD-3G wearing a Noveske 18" barrel 3-gun irons upper with an SJC Titan on it.

Feedback Score
    Have one laying around, on anything but a heavy rifle with an effective brake the SD-3G is a candidate for doubling as I found out.

I’m a big fan of the SD-C or any of their other two stage triggers. Also a big fan of the KAC two stage in my SR-15.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I had a Super 3 Gun in one of my carbines at one time. It was a great trigger until I had a ND coming up on target. That trigger has since been sold off, and was replaced with an ALG QMS. I didn't trust really light triggers for a long time, but the QMS was eventually replaced with a SSA-E.

Feedback Score
    I’ve decided it’s not much about how light the trigger is but how much trigger travel and sear engagement you have. Two stage triggers are just more forgiving and give easy to throttle tactile feedback, even when you’re trying to get on the gas so to speak. Just my opinion, but I’ll go out on a limb and predict that for a reasonably well trained shooter a 4-4.5lb two stage trigger with a generous amount of sear engagement on the 1st stage is just as safe if not safer than a decent GI trigger.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Yeah I’m definitely using the term “light” very loosely. Not so much talking about pure poundage as a few factors. But that’s extra work to understand and type.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Sometimes even my SD-E surprises me when I’m prepping the trigger. I can’t imagine going lighter on a duty gun

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    To me the Super 3gun and SD 3 gun triggers I've used fit Geissele's description (used to describe how the trigger felt when it was initially released) feel pretty well.

After the trigger moves a short distance, the weapon discharges. Nothing precedes the discharge: no second stage stop, no grittiness, no stacking of the trigger pull weight as the hammer is cammed down like on a stock AR15 trigger. The trigger finger feels a sensation of walking along a perfectly flat, glassy-smooth plateau that suddenly drops away.
    There is no clear defined break. You begin pulling the trigger and the gun fires. There's no discernible wall before the trigger breaks, at least not for me.

It does make the trigger very fast (and fun to shoot!), but it's not something I'd personally want in a gun that might see serious defensive use.

Edit: It seems Geissele no longer uses the description I posted above on their website. Huh..
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 08-19-19 at 20:22.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast