Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (Solved) Upper receiver with broken off forward assist roll pin

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

(Solved) Upper receiver with broken off forward assist roll pin

(I got it out!) So I acquired an upper with the roll pin for the forward assist either broken in half or too short to start with and I can't seem to get it out. The previous owner just said that the forward assist would need to be installed but neglected to say that a roll pin was stuck in the hole. I have beat on it pretty hard with a punch and it hasn't budged. I am thinking my next option is drilling it, just looking for any other options of getting it out from anyone that has possibly experienced this before. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by bigshoe83; 08-21-19 at 09:10.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I assume you’ve tried different levels of pressure on the FA while hammering the punch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I guess I should have mentioned that the forward assist is not installed, it’s just the roll pin. I would add a pic but I’m not home currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I assume you’ve tried different levels of pressure on the FA while hammering the punch?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Exactly. You have to push the assist in a little to remove/install the roll pin. I would have guessed it would still come out without compressing it though.

Can I ask why you're even removing it?? Is there a problem with the forward assist?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have to get the pin out to install the forward assist

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigshoe83 View Post
    I have to get the pin out to install the forward assist
    You may need to reach inside with a dental pick to push the pin around until it lines up with the hole.

Another idea- Use a small diameter piece of drill stock that fits inside the roll pin to align the broken halves
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thanks for the tip, but the roll pin isn't 2 halves. It is about 1/2 the length of what is needed and is only visible from the top of the receiver or when looking into the hole for the forward assist. The roll pin hole on the bottom side of the receiver is open which is where I have been inserting the punch and trying to knock the pin out through the top. I don't know if the previous owner tried to use a pin that is oversized or what but it isn't budging.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    You may need to reach inside with a dental pick to push the pin around until it lines up with the hole.

Another idea- Use a small diameter piece of drill stock that fits inside the roll pin to align the broken halves

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In no particular order:

- Have you tried both directions?
    - was it the right size pin? Just caught that is a maybe
    - not sure if you can see inside, but has the pounding formed the pin in to a rivet? And/or peened the hole? Did they mention if they had the assist while trying to install the pin? Thinking misalignment with hard hits stand a good chance of snapping the pin off too.

- heating/freezing (not sure which or both) might get some expansion/contraction going in your favor.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 08-19-19 at 16:26.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I tried both directions to no avail

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sounds like it's likely deformed enough to prevent removal without an assist. Drill it. Variable-speed rotary tool with high speed micro-bits is what I'd use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast