Back in April, as I was casually checking the main local website for gun sales, I saw an add for a Colt Commando. I immediately wrote to the seller, he called me and by luck was passing close to my house on his way to the mountain for the Easter weekend. He agreed to take the rifle along and stop by to show it to me.

He said the barrel was replaced as the original was shot. The bolt was also replaced. Rifle is fully functional. Lots of external wear as can be expected with an old warhorse. Otherwise I really don’t know that much about this rifle.

Wikipedia : In April 1967, the Army purchased 510 Colt 629 Commandos for use by troops assigned to the Military Assistance Command, Vietnam Studies and Observations Group (MACV-SOG), and designated them XM177E2. Delivery was completed by the end of September 1967. The Air Force adopted a similar model without the forward assist feature as the GAU-5A/A.

Does that mean there were only 510 built in total and it dates the rifle between April and September of 1967. Or were more built later, after the initial order?

The asking price was $ 3000, we agreed on $ 2700. For info I live in Switzerland. So the wait for the special license begins, should be 2-3 weeks.

Pics (not the greatest as I did them in a rush) :

With its sibling (1972 M16A1)