Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any value to a dedicated 22 LR SPR clone upper for training precision shooting?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I am a BIG fan of .22 LR for all kinds of things, but I hate .22 LR conversions.
    I would highly recommend an M&P 15/22 as a base for an SPR surrogate. You can use your preferred stock, trigger, grip, and optic, and very accurately replicate the aspects of the rifle that really matter.
    The advantages of using .22 for training are well established, but I like for the following reasons:
    .22LR drop and drift both scale pretty well in comparison to centerfire, so you can replicate longer distances with appropriately scaled targets
    Reduction in distance needed for high value training repetitions makes finding a training location much easier
    Reduction in projectile energy makes reactive targets last much longer, and can be made of thinner/lighter steel
    Low sound signature reduces the need for suppressors (though 22 suppressors are exceedingly awesome)
    Low recoil helps focus on foundational skills
    Low velocity (increased projectile time in bore) reinforces good follow-though and trigger interaction
    Significantly reduced cost per round, and shipping cost
    22 LR barrels basically last forever if you make any effort to maintain them at all
    Increased wind effect on trajectory provides immediate motivation to become very good at wind reading
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I'm with Jack that the conversions, in general, suck especially for precision training. Accuracy can range from maybe 4 MOA if you're lucky to hellish. I have a 1:9 Bushmaster that'll do 4-6 MOA depending on the ammo while a Daniel Defense shot about 30 MOA (really) with the conversion. On top of that the upper gets dirty as hell so you get to spend more time cleaning the chamber, barrel and upper recesses that you ever would with centerfire.

I'm building a .22 dedicated upper with a Beyer barrel to try and max out the accuracy potential.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    I'm with Jack that the conversions, in general, suck especially for precision training. Accuracy can range from maybe 4 MOA if you're lucky to hellish. I have a 1:9 Bushmaster that'll do 4-6 MOA depending on the ammo while a Daniel Defense shot about 30 MOA (really) with the conversion. On top of that the upper gets dirty as hell so you get to spend more time cleaning the chamber, barrel and upper recesses that you ever would with centerfire.

I'm building a .22 dedicated upper with a Beyer barrel to try and max out the accuracy potential.
    The Walther barrel that CLE uses will produce sub MOA accuracy st 100 yards. At 50' it can put rounds through the same hole.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

Feedback Score
    Dedicated 22 uppers are the way to go. I had one built by Derrick Martin years ago. Same weight as my regular match upper and configuration. Using reduced targets (Ray Vin) I was able to shoot indoors in the winter. Improved my scores in rapid and offhand. To sharpen my scores in slow fire prone I would shoot the 22 at 100 yards. With a 22 you can work on your breathing, follow through and. building a solid position. Since I had it built on a flat top, I also use it during squirrel season.

Feedback Score
    This thread is in the "precision bolt action" forum:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-22lr-Trainers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12