Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock frame replacement (“upgrade”)

Feedback Score

Glock frame replacement (“upgrade”)

Is it normal to have the serial# change?
    I was under the impression that the SN would stay the same- wondering if my metal was damaged.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    From what I’ve heard the serial number of the frame will not match the serial number of the slide. One reason I’ve never sent in my Gen2s.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If it is the Gen 2 to 3 upgrade then it is a completely new serial #.

The other frame upgrade which was really a sort of recall.
    The serial number on those got a milder exception (unless something has changed since 10 to 15 years ago,) the run of Gen 3 frames that had a defect that could have a frame rail break off were getting mostly the same serial number, but with a suffix(IIRC). Something like EMC001US would be returned as EMC001US-1.

Something you might ask about if you are going 2 to 3 frame that I had not heard of before this year.

A few months back my Gen 2 did the striker through the breach face failure so I decided to upgrade to Gen 3 frame. When Glock got it, one of their guys called me and advised I would be getting back my original barrel with new slide and new frame and likely none of the 3 would be matching or I could opt for a trade in/refurb with all matching #s so I went that route. Not sure if that is the usual, they just had a stack of trade ins they needed to get rid of, something they do with 2 to 3 frame swap plus damaged slide or barrel, or dumb luck that week. And not sure if it has to be offered or you can request, but I wouldn't see any harm in asking if it doesn't come up early in the conversation.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 08-20-19 at 05:45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Is it normal to have the serial# change?
    I was under the impression that the SN would stay the same- wondering if my metal was damaged.

Yes it is normal.

Replacement frames usually get "Gxxxx"

Recall frames get "-1" as mentioned above.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Given the skullfuddery that abounds with Glocks. This is quite common.

As was a explained to me, your guns ser. no. is essentially like its SSN. Once it dies, it dies.

New frame, new number. The frame is the gun.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

As was a explained to me, your guns ser. no. is essentially like its SSN. Once it dies, it dies.

That's my understanding. A serial is assigned to a firearm (whichever part is considered the "firearm") once, never to be used again.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

I don't think the new frame serial # would be such an issue if it wasn't a European gun with other components serial numbered and/or the frame got essentially the same number, but with a prefix/suffix.

While I don't plan on selling it, what I was going to initially get back was going to be a complete factory pistol that was going to appear to be home brew cobbled together out of take off parts. While that really doesn't bother me, some people get weirded out by it (or pretend they do) so it likely would drop whatever resale value a used Glock may have at any given time. In my case I figured I was getting a newer barrel going refurb and the matching #'s was a potential/unlikely benefit.

Feedback Score
    Ok thanks.
    This was a direct replacement- no recall.
    I wore out the magwell and just paid glock to replace the frame. I thought they either re-used the metal or destroyed your old gun and reissued the serial number.

Guess not.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Ok thanks.
    This was a direct replacement- no recall.
    I wore out the magwell and just paid glock to replace the frame. I thought they either re-used the metal or destroyed your old gun and reissued the serial number.

Guess not.
    They don’t man. I’ve used their frame replacement for 3 G19s so far.

One was melted, one was eaten, one was stippled poorly.

I learned the hard way because I sent them an FDE Gen4 frame and they sent me back a black one.

Crushed my ****ing nuts.

Just an FYI - make sure they send it to the right address. They misspelled my street name and I got stuck in one of these time warp continuum’s where it just ****ing went back to fedex and Glock in an endless loop and no one was willing to let me pick it up or correct the address because it was a firearm.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The serial number thing is what gets you hung up on tax stamps for suppressors as well. If the serial number portion of the suppressor is damaged beyond repair you have to get a new serial number AND pay another $200 tax stamp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast