Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H6 Buffer

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

H6 Buffer

Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Hey look, a thread from 5 1/2 years ago that reaches much the same conclusions!

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...7657-H6-Buffer

And yeah, I bought my H6 around or shortly after that discussion. Like many I like to try stuff out for myself.

My experience is that an H3 and stiff spring will make most rifles choke and FTF. I've only had good luck with an H3 on an Adams Arms piston setup, which was outrageously overpowered and is no longer in my collection. If your rifle can run with an H3 and Springco red installed, even on the hottest legit military ammo, you should replace the barrel or install an adjustable gas block. Maybe an exception if all your shooting is at air temperatures of 100 and higher.

I looked up the prior thread to confirm the weight, which is 5.15oz in that thread and reported elsewhere as 5oz. Either way, slightly lighter than an H3. I would take an H6 before an H3, and in fact my H3 is currently not in use, but kept on hand in case I encounter something that overgassed. OP, I think an H2 and a quality spring (not necessarily Springco, although their blue is fine) is the most that I would spend money on for your stated use.
    Sample of 1, but my 11.5 BCM BFH ran happily with an H3 and Red spring, and my new Geissele 10.3” upper shipped and runs well with an H3 and their super42 spring. IMO, H2 is minimum weight on most 14.5-16” guns, and SBRs run well with H3s. And I shoot 223 exclusively. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CESwartz07; 08-20-19 at 19:32.

Feedback Score
    Be careful making blanket statements like that even though I tend to agree that the vast majority of gas ports are a tad too big. We're treating the symptoms but not the problem and it does introduce other performance issues that are sometimes hard to quantify. When adding more reciprocating mass under greater spring tension, accurate split times tend to widen. So, your gun seems to run better, but how much better do YOU run it? That's the question shooters have to ask themselves when throwing in the heaviest this and that. I'll notice a lot more dot bounce during rapid fire. The better solution is to tame the GP and run lighter buffers and springs.

Some manufacturers are going the other way with reduced (or right-sized) gas ports that run perfectly with H, and even C buffers with .223. Notwithstanding the potential bolt bounce issue of the lighter buffer, these systems are much more manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by CESwartz07 View Post
    Sample of 1, but my 11.5 BCM BFH ran happily with an H3 and Red spring, and my new Geissele 10.3” upper shipped and runs well with an H3 and their super42 spring. IMO, H2 is minimum weight on most 14.5-16” guns, and SBRs run well with H3s. And I shoot 223 exclusively. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12