Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What revolver is this?

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)

What revolver is this?

What smith and Wesson revolver is this? Model number and what is it worth?

It locks up tight and shoots well
    Serial number c946xxx it’s s 38 revolver
    https://imgur.com/a/SXwXzFx

https://imgur.com/a/SXwXzFx

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's a S&W J frame 5 shot 38spl. What was once called a Chief's Special now it's Model 36. This was the pocket gun of it's day. The "Saturday night special"

Worth about $300-$350. If you have original box and paperwork can be as high as $450. Price of used revolvers will vary by region.
    Last edited by Arik; 08-21-19 at 06:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I take that back. Is it a 5 shot or a 6 shot? I don't remember any C prefix S# being assigned to the J frame. They were assigned to K frames. Hard to tell from pictures but if that's a K frame then it's a Model 10 snub nose. Still in 38spl. S# would put it towards the end of the 60s.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That looks like an aluminum frame to me which would make it a Model 12, should be model marked on the frame.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 08-21-19 at 07:57.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    That looks like an aluminum frame to me which would make it a Model 12, should be model marked on the frame.
    Good point. When you open the cylinder there should be a model number inside on the left side

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Bingo.

Looks like a mod 12 with anodized alloy frame. It is a K frame if this is correct.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In that case OP make sure to read up on that model. It's not advisable to shoot anything other than 130gr

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Thanks for he info

I don't have it. Someone's selling it for $330

I'm going to pass on it though after what you all have said as it's not that great a deal ecspecially if you can only shoot 130gr with it

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Technically the 12-2 is not rated for +P of any bullet weight.

There has never been a disclaimer for "no loads heavier than 130 gr" however.
    Standard Pressure 158 LSWCHP was commonly shot through these back in the day. A guy several years back, on S$W Forum shot a documented 1K rds of various +P through his 12-2 with no frame stretching, issues or failures.

I've run 130 gr Speer "Short Barrel +P" through mine for years with no adverse affect, albeit a relatively low rd. count due to ammo cost.

You should probably be looking for a m10 in .38 or a m19 in .357- both are K frames and capable of excellent double action triggers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Technically the 12-2 is not rated for +P of any bullet weight.

There has never been a disclaimer for "no loads heavier than 130 gr" however.
    Standard Pressure 158 LSWCHP was commonly shot through these back in the day. A guy several years back, on S$W Forum shot a documented 1K rds of various +P through his 12-2 with no frame stretching, issues or failures.

I've run 130 gr Speer "Short Barrel +P" through mine for years with no adverse affect, albeit a relatively low rd. count due to ammo cost.

You should probably be looking for a m10 in .38 or a m19 in .357- both are K frames and capable of excellent double action triggers.
    Had one years ago and everything I've read, including on that same forum said you could shoot shoot some 158, although not advisable and no +p.

But I'm not here to argue that, just stating what I learned about it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast