Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fort Knox Safes Article

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Way too polished to be camo IMO. Clutter hides something way better than polished. Think about hiding 10 pounds of gold in the bottom of a clothes hamper full of shit stained underwear or a trash can filled with used tampons. Maybe in the toilet tank with 4 adult dumps in the bowl without being flushed.
    Not sure what a dirty hamper or an unflushed toilet have to do with a cloth cover that looks like a wooden cabinet or painting a safe to look like something else. What are you suggesting homeowners do to camouflage a safe?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    Who are you insuring your guns through? Did you have to provide a list with serials?
    USAA and yes, I did provide serial numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    I’ve done the same. I don’t know if all banks do it but I like that I can upload pictures too so I usually do one of the serial number with my ID in it and one of the whole gun, plus invoice/receipt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    Do they provide any sort of policy discount with a gun safe?

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I’ve done the same. I don’t know if all banks do it but I like that I can upload pictures too so I usually do one of the serial number with my ID in it and one of the whole gun, plus invoice/receipt.

USAA does full replacement value minus deductible. When I made a renters insurance claim in the past, it didn't matter what I paid for the items, it was just MSRP on everything and they paid it out since they couldn't prove that the item is worth less than MSRP. It was the happiest/worst day when I had $2000 worth of range gear stolen out of my car.

ETA: I asked USAA about tax stamps for stolen NFA stuff. They cover the tax stamp for each item too since you cannot replace the item without getting the stamp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    And OPSEC. Don't tell anybody you need a safe, have a safe or have guns to put in a safe. Short of your best shooting buddies no one should know what you have. Tell your kids to never talk about it. Tell your wife to not tell her friends. If somebody shows up ready to break into a safe/RSC with tools they probably knew you had one and something worth putting inside.
    This is the single most important security aspect of storing guns. Tweakers and burglars generally ain't looking for guns, unless they know to be. Even if they find the safe, many of them might make a minimal attempt to gain entry, but they're not sticking around. All of this "axe attack" crap is just marketing garbage. If they want the guns that bed, either they're going to get them, or I'm not spending the kind of money it takes to prevent that kind of attack. That said, there aren't many reasons to buy a 12ga. body safe anymore, which is little more than a gun locker with drywall. It just takes a little bit more time to find a better, heavier duty one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    This is the single most important security aspect of storing guns. Tweakers and burglars generally ain't looking for guns, unless they know to be. Even if they find the safe, many of them might make a minimal attempt to gain entry, but they're not sticking around. All of this "axe attack" crap is just marketing garbage. If they want the guns that bed, either they're going to get them, or I'm not spending the kind of money it takes to prevent that kind of attack. That said, there aren't many reasons to buy a 12ga. body safe anymore, which is little more than a gun locker with drywall. It just takes a little bit more time to find a better, heavier duty one.
    The majority of the 12g stuff is imported and made to meet a price point. Another cost savings is stitch welding the body and then filling the gaps with Bondo.

There was a picture floating around a few years ago of a stitch welded safe that had had the top beaten off (phrasing) with a heavy hammer. It took a short time to break the few welds and get the entire top plate off.

Edit to add pics. These are off the Sturdy website.

Last edited by Tokarev; 08-23-19 at 15:04.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    I think the amount of $ you invest on that should be somewhat proportional to what you're trying to protect.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I think the amount of $ you invest on that should be somewhat proportional to what you're trying to protect.
    I agree. I really didn’t want to spend money on a safe, especially as much money as I did. But when I thought about everything that was going to go inside (emergency cash, jewelry, and documents) on top of the guns, it seemed stupid not to spend more money for better protection.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I agree. I really didn’t want to spend money on a safe, especially as much money as I did. But when I thought about everything that was going to go inside (emergency cash, jewelry, and documents) on top of the guns, it seemed stupid not to spend more money for better protection.
    A balance has to be struck to be sure, but putting high end firearms, cash, jewelry, documents etc into a cheap box that will only stop your basic snatch and grab type makes no sense to me. Another mistake I see a lot is, someone spends big $ on a legit safe (vs RSC) and decides that's all they need. I think people are better off with a high quality RSC, an alarm, and some motion alerted cameras, and good locks properly installed make robbers look elsewhere as the most effective and cost effective way to protect your chit. Legit pros willing to get passed all that, are working on big $ targets.

If I had the $, I'd own some monster TL30 safe just cuz I could.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast