Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fort Knox Safes Article

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Fort Knox Safes Article

Does this fit under the general discussion section? Mods, please move if necessary.

I've always liked the Fort Knox products particularly the newer line of M2 safes. These are only available through large dealers and are not a catalog item. Not sure why...

The M2 is more like a safe from about 20 years ago. Fairly heavy steel body with a solid plate door. No bells and whistles. Price is comparable to something like Sturdy but arguably with better fit and finish.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...nox-gun-safes/

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    That Fort Knox looks like a solid choice. Note: highest quality safes have a higher rated, U.L. TL-15 (Tool Resistant) and U.L. TL-30 ratings. In general, there is a wide margin of difference in security in a UL TL rated safe vs RSC rating, but it comes at a fairly significant cost. Balance the safe costs with the value of what's inside the safe. Always bolt/secure the bottom as most bad guys tip them over 1st and attack either the top w cutting tools or peel the door w heavy prying tools. Additional consideration are movement indicators inside the safe, home security as a layered approach to harden the approach to the safe. Best of luck to you.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    All good points.

Yes. TL or higher is better security but at a cost of price as you mentioned. Also size and weight considerations. A 72X40 TL safe will not have much storage space inside, relatively speaking. Also probably weighs in at 3 or 4 thousand pounds. Not lkely something that'll go into a bedroom closet.

TL is probably overkill unless you have a huge Class 3 collection, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have an American Security safe that weighs ...I don't even remember but it requires a professional mover to move it. And I have Costco and Browning safes that weigh in the 400 lb range. I like those because they will keep tweakers out and I can move them if needed. IMHO only a professional thief is moving or breaking into a one of my cheaper safes. I dont have 2 million in diamonds in those safes. So Im good with less than a super duper bad-ass safe.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    IMHO only a professional thief is moving or breaking into a one of my cheaper safes.
    That's probably true of most all the safes out there with the exception of the real budget stuff like some of the "gun cabinets" out there. But those are more like school lockers rather than safes.

Probably anything from Liberty, Ft Knox, Sturdy, etc will do the job just fine during a quick smash and grab. And anyone who's professional enough to come with tools and a torch will get into pretty much whatever it is you have.

I imagine most break-ins occur with whatever tools might be available at the time. Good reason to keep power tools, etc locked up in their own cabinet.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    What’s the best way to bolt a safe to the slab?

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Layered approach which includes insurance. I have 20k worth of stuff all told maybe. The cost to insure that is like 250 a year. Way cheaper than buying a super duper safe full of stuff that can be replaced with about a day's worth of internet shopping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Hell, I am thinking of picking up a second safe so I can keep my ammo in it so it probably won't cook off during a fire. Putting them next to each other gives a 50/50 choice for a thief to get the "good stuff" or just stacks and stacks of ammo and no guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    Layered approach which includes insurance. I have 20k worth of stuff all told maybe. The cost to insure that is like 250 a year. Way cheaper than buying a super duper safe full of stuff that can be replaced with about a day's worth of internet shopping.
    Who are you insuring your guns through? Did you have to provide a list with serials?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    What’s the best way to bolt a safe to the slab?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2IobMMVel0&vl=en

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast