Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Handgun or pistol defense against bear attacks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Handgun or pistol defense against bear attacks

This writer did a good job of compiling a very large number of known cases of successful bear defense with a pistol or handgun, and organizing by caliber.

Undoubtedly some of the accounts of defenses are not 100% reliable. But it's probably the best information we're going to get of an informal type, where it's not something like data compiled by the DNR's of the various states, etc. I was surprised to see how well our common big 3 service calibers did (not suggesting that this means these calibers are 'recommended' for bear defense tho).

Which caliber would you guess was used most commonly for successful bear defense?

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/han...-96-effective/

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    This writer did a good job of compiling a very large number of known cases of successful bear defense with a pistol or handgun, and organizing by caliber.

Undoubtedly some of the accounts of defenses are not 100% reliable. But it's probably the best information we're going to get of an informal type, where it's not something like data compiled by the DNR's of the various states, etc. I was surprised to see how well our common big 3 service calibers did (not suggesting that this means these calibers are 'recommended' for bear defense tho).

Which caliber would you guess was used most commonly for successful bear defense?

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/han...-96-effective/
    Holy crap, this would get your attention-

“I GUARANTEE you the trigger pull & recoil will be the LAST thing on your mind in an actual Griz attack! I lived AK bush for 27 yers & was bear attacked 4 times. When the SHTF your adrenalyn levels spike & your attention is on the BEAR, not the gun! You'll never feel the recoil nor hear the report. TOTAL focus is ON the BEAR!! BTW, my backup handgun was a 44 mag redhawk w full length bbl (7 1/4 inch) shooting 320 grain WFN Hard Cast @ 1200 FPS & THAT WAS MARGINAL!! Only shot one small 6 ft black bear directly in the chest w the muzzle pushing it back when the gun went off. Flipped it out of my video stand w the sternam, heart & backbone blown out its back. Hit the ground dead w the entire muzzle blast INSIDE the bear. Her jaws were 2 inches from my nose when the gun went boom. NOT a fun experience. When bears attack its FAST!”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I actually had to shoot a bear in the 90s that came at me. I was in the hills and laughed it off when I was told to keep that old Blackhawk holstered on my hip.

So yeah..... You need a .44. Some smart ass will come up with some lies about downing a bear with a 9mm or a .40 and bill drilling them.

NO.

When some big ass, hairy, snarling beast stands up and sounds like a pissed off wookie and is coming at you... You want that .44.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Shooting a black bear that is threatening you is different than shooting a Grizzley that is actively trying to kill you.

I’m sure 9mm would work great for the former.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    So yeah..... You need a .44. Some smart ass will come up with some lies about downing a bear with a 9mm or a .40 and bill drilling them.
    Yep .44 mag was most commonly used in these compiled accounts. And also the most widely recommended handgun caliber I'm aware of. My grandfather would carry a .357, with heavy loads and hard-cast deep penetrating bullets, it's better than today's service calibers and would likely work, but even so less optimal than a .44.

However that doesn't mean the compiled accounts of people using service calibers are lies. One of the accounts occurred here in WA state just recently, which he mentions, a guy killed a black bear with a .45 (using your favorite brand pistol, BTW :-) ) when it followed him up a tree. Though that one was only around 150 lbs. Another one is published in American Hunter describing how Alaska Guide Phil Shoemaker killed a grizzly with a 9mm. With pics and witnesses. The success of the 3 service calibers in the bear accounts in this article is surprisingly good and frankly better than I expected.

Important to distinguish I guess between what has worked versus what's recommended and increases your odds. If it were me, in big bear country, I'd carry a .44 too. In WA state black bear country as a trail round, I'm fine carrying my 1911 with a hard-cast load from Buffalo Bore. Would even consider a 9mm with the right load, but can't quite bring myself to do it despite all the FBI ballistics reports saying they aren't really all that different in terminal effects, other than size of hole.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Holy crap, this would get your attention-

“I GUARANTEE you the trigger pull & recoil will be the LAST thing on your mind in an actual Griz attack! I lived AK bush for 27 yers & was bear attacked 4 times. When the SHTF your adrenalyn levels spike & your attention is on the BEAR, not the gun! You'll never feel the recoil nor hear the report. TOTAL focus is ON the BEAR!! BTW, my backup handgun was a 44 mag redhawk w full length bbl (7 1/4 inch) shooting 320 grain WFN Hard Cast @ 1200 FPS & THAT WAS MARGINAL!! Only shot one small 6 ft black bear directly in the chest w the muzzle pushing it back when the gun went off. Flipped it out of my video stand w the sternam, heart & backbone blown out its back. Hit the ground dead w the entire muzzle blast INSIDE the bear. Her jaws were 2 inches from my nose when the gun went boom. NOT a fun experience. When bears attack its FAST!”
    That seems like a pretty incredible story.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Shooting a black bear that is threatening you is different than shooting a Grizzley that is actively trying to kill you.

You weren't there, Man

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

The only grizzlies that have ever given me any shit were the size of medium sized black bears. I've smoked a black bear with a .45ACP with good results, but he wasn't trying to eat me..but I did eat him.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    The only grizzlies that have ever given me any shit were the size of medium sized black bears. I've smoked a black bear with a .45ACP with good results, but he wasn't trying to eat me..but I did eat him.
    Good info. What load in your .45, and what kind of damage?

Feedback Score
    Maximus,

Thank you for posting this. We must have the same reading habits, I read the article last night. Lol,
    This is a great time to have this discussion, as I am sure many of us are getting ready for hunting.
    I usually rely on a G20 with 200gr handloads, or 180gr golddot from BB. I picked up a 44 RedHawk on a great sale a couple of years ago, but still find myself relying on the 10mm. I just feel more confident with an autoloader. For those that carry a revolver, do you practice shooting revolvers year around or just around the season? How much would you estimate you shoot a revolver? I practice with a pistol regularly, and I will shoot my 10mm at least once a month starting in July.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast