Thread: Help on my "next level" rifle...

Feedback Score

Help on my "next level" rifle...

Hi all,

I purchased by first (and only) AR-15 rifle back around 2014 I think. It's a BCM 16" LW BFH upper with original 13" KMR rail (keymod magnesium alloy) with a BCM lower. It's been upgraded with a Elzetta light, Geissele SSA, Aimpoint T2, and Vortex Micro 3X magnifier. It's been an outstanding rifle for me. As my shooting volume has gone up and skill improved, I'm now looking for an upgrade and would like to change a few things:

1. Get rid of the BCM Comp Mod 1 and go with a dedicated flash hider.
    2. Replace the keymod rail with a mlok rail
    3. Gain some in the accuracy dept, especially after longer strings of fire where accuracy suffers with the LW barrel.
    4. Perhaps mount a LPVO optic down the road once they become lighter weight.

Note that I'm just a civilian, and I don't carry my rifle for hours a day, and extreme light weight it not an absolute necessity. My current BCM rifle is *very* light. My first thought was to consider the new BCM MK2 upper with a 16" BFH ELW barrel and MCMR rail. Molon's recent accuracy data on ELW barrels is very good, and I figure the heavier barrel profile will handle heat better and the MK2 upper will also aid in accuracy due to the tightness of barrel installation (along with the other supposed benefits).

But I've always heard great things about the accuracy and quality of Centurion Arms barrels. I've emailed Corrie a few times recently and she's been outstanding. She says people are getting about 1"-1.25" groups with their LW barrels, and even though the midweight barrel does handle heat better, improving on the LW's accuracy is hard. So I'm also considering a CA 16" LW upper with 13" CMR M-lok rail and Stoner 63 FH.

Then I got to thinking... Corrie said the Centurion billet uppers are designed for precision rifles, the stiffness and fit and heated barrel installation adds to accuracy and longevity, and they are all gauged to fit all mil-spec parts/mags. I don't see any downside to pairing the billet upper with their LW barrel, and I might as well go with a complete billet rifle (complete lower too). That would be damn cool. I've heard great things about CA, including the customer service.

So at this point, I'm looking for your thoughts. Given my goals, which direction would you suggest? What other options am I missing? Keep in mind that I don't plan on owning a lot of AR's. One or two is what I'm looking for. So I'm looking for one that will last a long time, serve the purpose of 0-300 yard shooting, and be a quality and awesome rifle for me.

Thanks for your help.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris17404; 06-12-20 at 16:15.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn’t replace the barrel until it’s shot out if it were me. I would replace the KMR rail with a Mlok and sell off the old rail.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    If you really want to change all of that, I would just buy a new upper.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jesuvuah View Post
    If you really want to change all of that, I would just buy a new upper.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk
    Yep. Buy or build one. Never a bad thing to have two complete uppers to have on hand.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    Yep. Buy or build one. Never a bad thing to have two complete uppers to have on hand.
    Orphan uppers always grow lowers.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The LW barrels are actually heavier then the ELW barrels I believe. An ounce heavier at 16” I want to say.

I like your idea of the MK2 upper, ELW barrel, and MCMR. Mine shipped today from BCM actually in that config.

But if you want to stick with BCM and get more accuracy you might have to get an SS410 barrel or KD4. Not sure how much they weigh but must be more then gov profile.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Help on my "next level" rifle...

I wouldn’t touch your current rifle.

I’d add a second rifle maybe mk12

You could just buy an upper, but...... two is one and one is none.
    Last edited by R0CKETMAN; 06-13-20 at 04:07.
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I think a complete Sionics rifle would check some boxes for you.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not trying to be a dick, but I don't think your spending money very well on this rifle.

Changing from a comp to a flash hider is a personal choice. I have flash hiders on all my rifles so I get it.

Moving from keymod to mlok is a waist if you already have a rail and like it. Just get what ever accessories you need for that rail in keymod.

Does your ELW barrel actually change POA/POI when it gets hot? Not just, you read it on the internet, but have you actually taken it out and tested it for yourself? I was pleasantly surprised that my LW barrel will maintain POA/POI and groups even after 2 mags of rapid fire.

My Steiner P4xi in an aero mount weighs 20.5 oz's..... LPVo's are not gonna get much lighter than that. If you aren't actually using magnified optics, IMO chasing accuracy or precision with a barrel and ammo is kinda pointless if you aren't using the glass to take advantage? 0-300 yards is a chip shot even for a RDS.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Then I got to thinking... Corrie said the Centurion billet uppers are designed for precision rifles, the stiffness and fit and heated barrel installation adds to accuracy and longevity, and they are all gauged to fit all mil-spec parts/mags. I don't see any downside to pairing the billet upper with their LW barrel, and I might as well go with a complete billet rifle (complete lower too). That would be damn cool. I've heard great things about CA, including the customer service.

Chris,

I'll start out by saying that I consider Corrie and Monty to be real world friends (as opposed to internet friends), and IMHO they are exceptional people. With that in mind, anything you are looking at from them is going to be rock solid, and a great performer. If I were you, I would keep the upper as it is that you own now. Then I would look at going the billet route from CA if accuracy and reliability were my primary factors for my next AR setup.

If you have any questions, feel free to hit up my section of this site and post your thoughts there. Its slower moving, but we get some great conversation, and we are more relaxed than this section. Thats not a slap at this section, its just that we are a bit freer with stuff over there.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB