Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Geissele Super Duty LE Rifle Arrived!!! Pic heavy initial impressions...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Geissele Super Duty LE Rifle Arrived!!! Pic heavy initial impressions...

So I called in my order a while ago and received a phone call that my rifle was next to be built, apparently all of the Super Duty rifles are built to order. Two weeks later the rifle shipped and I picked it up tonight. Between renovating/moving into new house and hectic work schedule I have no idea when I'm going to shoot this thing, but I at least wanted to get hands on and share the results.

Packaging is irrelevant but it's very nice and shows Geissele is into first impressions...

Inside is some Super Duty swag, cable lock, rifle, and a very nice instruction manual (take note of sticker on flap, it's a checklist of various aspects of the rifle/contents that is signed off on. So QC is good to go presumably

Said manual is very detailed and in color, nice touch

Initial impression of the rifle at this point: Very solid, little to no slop, takedown/pivot pin engage nicely.

Rifle comes standard with B5 Sopmod stock and A2 grip, standard mil-spec charging handle, and flat trigger guard. Additionally it comes with Geissele's new buis.

Sights are very solid with zero play. Windage adjustment on rear, elevation on front (tool required).

Castle nut is staked 3 times:

Lower engraving as well as all of the Geissele in house made parts.

Deeply engraved t-markings...

Posi-lock safety is pretty neat. It does away with that mushy/middle ground between "safe" and "fire". The rifle is in safe and if you even slightly apply downward pressure, it's going on fire. Even trying to intentionally put it into that middle ground proved impossible.

Features the new Geissele magazine release (same texture/finish as maritime bolt catch)

Magazine well opening is flared nicely, it's more of a rounded flared opening as opposed to the notched/angled ones. Zero idea if this is relevant or beneficial, but w/e the mag well is flared.

Super Duty LE comes with their "mil-spec" bolt carrier group. All appears fine as HP/MPI markings are clearly visible and carrier key is staked:

Chrome lining is hard to pick up in picture, but it's there and very uniform/evenly applied:
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 08-21-19 at 22:59.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Super 42 buffer and spring are standard (H2 weight)

After removing the hand guard...

Pinned Geissele gas block

I'm guessing this pin under gas tube is for alignment?

Geissele's new gas port length

compared to a 16" mid-length

Barrels made in house but I'm unsure where the blanks are coming from. On Instagram they posted some pics of their Cold Hammer Forging machine in action.

All in all for the price, this is a GREAT rifle so far. As long as it shoots well, at the $750 (le price) I can't think of anything that even comes close to this many features or quality. Highly looking forward to the release of the rest of Super Duty rifles and their subsequent pricing. The price difference from what I saw on the build sheet covers the fancier trigger guard, charging handle, hand guard, trigger, and muzzle device. Additionally, you have option of a stainless steel or CHF barrel. Pure speculation but I believe the Super Duty LE is chrome lined.

I ordered a SSA-E trigger for this as well as Surefire Warcomp. I have some extra Geissele stuff laying around so eventually I'll add the following as well...

However I'm not in a rush as I want to see how it shoots in factory form.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 08-21-19 at 22:51.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Boy. Gewselle loves putting his name on everything doesn’t he?

Is the gas key staking touching both bolts?

When will you get to shoot this? Why did they change the gas port length? Tell us how that affects function when you get to shoot it.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 08-21-19 at 22:44.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I sure can appreciate the attention to detail G put into that.

Is G making barrels now? Or are they sourced from somewhere else and stamped G?

Great review OP.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

Is the gas key staking touching both bolts?

When will you get to shoot this? Why did they change the gas port length? Tell us how that affects function when you get to shoot it.
    Marketing/advertising I guess? Who knows, but at the price point the LE model is offered I'm indifferent to the logos.

Staking does touch both bolts on both sides. However it does appear to be heavier on one side.

As far as the gas length I believe he said it was to soften the recoil impulse as well as reliability. I can't attest to either but the few people who have shot the rifle said the first they noticed was how soft the recoil was and how flat the rifle shot. I can't comment one way or the other but that seemed to be a recurring theme amongst reviewers so we'll see. I'll probably take it out tomorrow for a quick range trip.

Quote Originally Posted by trauma View Post
    I sure can appreciate the attention to detail G put into that.

Is G making barrels now? Or are they sourced from somewhere else and stamped G?

Great review OP.

Thanks. Not many in the wild so I wanted to get it out to anyone considering or on the fence. As far as barrels they are made in house! I don't know where the blanks come from but I know they are finished in house. On instagram not too long ago they posted pics/vid of their new Cold Hammer Forging machine running. Bill Geissele said he was adamant about making almost in house and didn't want to sub anything out. I believe he said on the release video that everything with the exception of springs/detents are produced in house.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 08-21-19 at 22:54.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    As far as the gas length I believe he said it was to soften the recoil impulse as well as reliability. I can't attest to either but the few people who have shot the rifle said the first they noticed was how soft the recoil was and how flat the rifle shot.
    Bill talked about it in more detail in their SHOT 2019 unveiling video, but I can't find that video offhand - basically it is their take on the optimum gas length for a 16" rifle, etc, etc.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Marketing/advertising I guess? Who knows, but at the price point the LE model is offered I'm indifferent to the logos.

Staking does touch both bolts on both sides. However it does appear to be heavier on one side.

As far as the gas length I believe he said it was to soften the recoil impulse as well as reliability. I can't attest to either but the few people who have shot the rifle said the first they noticed was how soft the recoil was and how flat the rifle shot. I can't comment one way or the other but that seemed to be a recurring theme amongst reviewers so we'll see. I'll probably take it out tomorrow for a quick range trip.

Thanks. Not many in the wild so I wanted to get it out to anyone considering or on the fence. As far as barrels they are made in house! I don't know where the blanks come from but I know they are finished in house. On instagram not too long ago they posted pics/vid of their new Cold Hammer Forging machine running. Bill Geissele said he was adamant about making almost in house and didn't want to sub anything out. I believe he said on the release video that everything with the exception of springs/detents are produced in house.
    If he is CHF he isn't buying blanks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I’m ecstatic for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    It's not any different than BCM, Noveske, or VLTOR branding.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    It's not any different than BCM, Noveske, or VLTOR branding.
    The first thing I thought too....and that people are upset with Colt because they stopped “C” marking things.

Also, the optimum gas length has been done before.

I’m glad to see someone has one of these. I’ve been wanting to see one of these since the rumors started a few years ago. Their shop is only about 10 miles from me but they don’t have any time of showroom
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast