Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Micro 3x magnifier

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    There are others with better glass quality. Comparing it to an Aimpoint mag in a dim area, the difference is visible. It works well for zeroing and casual use with my lower-third Aimpoints and Eotechs. It gets mounted only as needed. Its very short, which solved an issue I was having with a previous magnifier and a Comp M4. As others have pointed out, it has a diopter adjustment, which some will find very valuable.

I use an Aimpoint magnifier and T2 on my main setup in 1.93” Scalarworks mounts. This works well for bridging the gap between a dot and a LPVO. It gets used enough and is light enough that it only occasionally gets removed from the upper.

A buddy of mine is fond of his Eotech magnifier, but we haven’t tried comparing it to my Aimpoint.
    Kind of what I assumed but I've gotten to the point that it doesn't make sense to spend tons of money on the best if I rarely use it. That's why I sold the G33 I used to have. Based off of the last year and a half since Covid started, this would see very occasional range use and maybe some competition on one stage of the local rifle match so sounds like it'd be fine for that.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Vortex Micro 3x magnifier

I got one mounted behind a Romeo5 and love it. It helps me see better at 100-200 yards and reduces my astigmatism a little bit.
    Last edited by 202; 12-02-21 at 15:04.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Kind of what I assumed but I've gotten to the point that it doesn't make sense to spend tons of money on the best if I rarely use it. That's why I sold the G33 I used to have. Based off of the last year and a half since Covid started, this would see very occasional range use and maybe some competition on one stage of the local rifle match so sounds like it'd be fine for that.
    Are you going to buy the Sparc Solar and Magnifier combo? If so, which gun are you putting it on?

I'm philosophically in the same boat as you. I've shot maybe 300 rounds this year and with my 1 and 3 year old boys I really have to make time so it becomes kind of a chore. I'm also spending way more money than I expected just having kids in the first place.

My wife and I are doing a hard paring down to the necessities in all aspects of our life. For the gun stuff that means keeping one Sig P365 for her and one for me, plus one rifle. Selling off everything else.

I've always been a "buy once cry once top tier" guy, but I've spent a ridiculous amount of money doing that over the years and these days I just don't shoot much at all.

Now my one AR is a 16" BCM with Midwest Industries BUIS and a Vortex Crossfire (gen 2) red dot. I've had a hard time making peace with not running an Aimpoint but I've had zero issues with the Crossfire so far. I'd like to add the Vortex 3x mini magnifier to round out this rifle.

I'm familiar with your posting over the years to trust your take on the Vortex products.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Vortex Micro 3x magnifier

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    Are you going to buy the Sparc Solar and Magnifier combo? If so, which gun are you putting it on?

I'm philosophically in the same boat as you. I've shot maybe 300 rounds this year and with my 1 and 3 year old boys I really have to make time so it becomes kind of a chore. I'm also spending way more money than I expected just having kids in the first place.

My wife and I are doing a hard paring down to the necessities in all aspects of our life. For the gun stuff that means keeping one Sig P365 for her and one for me, plus one rifle. Selling off everything else.

I've always been a "buy once cry once top tier" guy, but I've spent a ridiculous amount of money doing that over the years and these days I just don't shoot much at all.

Now my one AR is a 16" BCM with Midwest Industries BUIS and a Vortex Crossfire (gen 2) red dot. I've had a hard time making peace with not running an Aimpoint but I've had zero issues with the Crossfire so far. I'd like to add the Vortex 3x mini magnifier to round out this rifle.

I'm familiar with your posting over the years to trust your take on the Vortex products.
    Yeah I’ve been trimming a lot lately and have really been looking at what makes the most sense for what I need.

For my HD gun, which probably spends 363 days a year in the bedroom, the only thing I really need of that optic is to be easy to use, lightweight, and stay on. I like my dots bright and for years have wondered why I have a $6-800 optic (T2) that can’t even make it a year with the same battery and is literally no more than a red dot. That’s why I’ve become so critical of Aimpoint in the past few years. I don’t need my HD optic to get blown up and keep working, I need it to stay on. So I’ve already traded my T2 for a SPARC Solar plus cash. I threw a crossfire on in the interim and haven’t been able to zero the solar yet but right now, the crossfire is doing the same thing that my T2 did for like 1/4 or less of the price. Once I get the SPARC on, I’ll have narrowed the price savings a bit, but will have greatly increased the capability that I actually need - battery life - through the shake awake.

My last Aimpoint battery lasted from 11 OCT 20 to 5 SEP 21. If the sparc can go that long for several hundred dollars less, and all other basic functions are similar enough that it’s still entirely usable, why wouldn’t I trade my expensive Aimpoint? And with the shake awake and how little I actually handle the gun, I bet it’ll go a lot longer.

Mission drives the gear, right?

Anyways, all of that was my own justification and train of thought while going through all of this. To your actual question, the magnifier would probably sit behind the EXPS 3-2 on my 14.5 for the most part while the HD gun and my SBR both wear sparc solars. But I’m still working towards all of that and have other things to spend the money on before the magnifier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 12-06-21 at 09:48.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Yeah I’ve been trimming a lot lately and have really been looking at what makes the most sense for what I need.

For my HD gun, which probably spends 363 days a year in the bedroom, the only thing I really need of that optic is to be easy to use, lightweight, and stay on. I like my dots bright and for years have wondered why I have a $6-800 optic (T2) that can’t even make it a year with the same battery and is literally no more than a red dot. That’s why I’ve become so critical of Aimpoint in the past few years. I don’t need my HD optic to get blown up and keep working, I need it to stay on. So I’ve already traded my T2 for a SPARC Solar plus cash. I threw a crossfire on in the interim and haven’t been able to zero the solar yet but right now, the crossfire is doing the same thing that my T2 did for like 1/4 or less of the price. Once I get the SPARC on, I’ll have narrowed the price savings a bit, but will have greatly increased the capability that I actually need - battery life - through the shake awake.

My last Aimpoint battery lasted from 11 OCT 20 to 5 SEP 21. If the sparc can go that long for several hundred dollars less, and all other basic functions are similar enough that it’s still entirely usable, why wouldn’t I trade my expensive Aimpoint? And with the shake awake and how little I actually handle the gun, I bet it’ll go a lot longer.

Mission drives the gear, right?

Anyways, all of that was my own justification and train of thought while going through all of this. To your actual question, the magnifier would probably sit behind the EXPS 3-2 on my 14.5 for the most part while the HD gun and my SBR both wear sparc solars. But I’m still working towards all of that and have other things to spend the money on before the magnifier.

It seems like every guy has that one thing that just gives them trouble over and over. I think yours is Aimpoint battery life. I've got a T1 that's been on setting 8 for almost 4 years, and an H1 going on two.

Mine is tape switches. I've lost count how many tape switches I've broke or that just stopped working. I just gave up and started running clicky tailcaps and life has been good since.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    It seems like every guy has that one thing that just gives them trouble over and over. I think yours is Aimpoint battery life. I've got a T1 that's been on setting 8 for almost 4 years, and an H1 going on two.

Mine is tape switches. I've lost count how many tape switches I've broke or that just stopped working. I just gave up and started running clicky tailcaps and life has been good since.
    You might be right, I’ve seen several people say that about tape switches and I’ve run one on just about every gun and never had an issue. I actually much prefer them.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Got one of these magnifiers for Christmas. Initial impressions are really good. With the lower 1/3 spacer, it doesn’t look like it lines up with either my EXPS 3-2 or Sparc Solar on Scalarworks mount but when looking through (so what actually matters), it looks perfect.

The Sparc Solar also looks good magnified, there’s a tiny bit of glare if the dot is too bright for the ambient lighting but I turned it down one or two and it looks solid. Way better than my old T1.

I’ll be at the range on the 2nd at the latest so will post back after getting some rounds through it.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I really like how it’s so short, I was able to put it between Scalarworks and eotech.

Feedback Score
    Curious if anyone has compared one of these to the Holosun HMX/T or Sig Micro?
    RESIST!!!

Feedback Score
    So far, so good with mine. Is it the quality of an Aimpoint or a G33? No. Does it do what I need it to do for my use case? Absolutely, and for over $300 less than the G33 I about pulled the trigger on.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast