Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vortex Micro 3x magnifier

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)

Vortex Micro 3x magnifier

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-micr...f2SbJP7LaMd724

Looks small, compact, and hits all my buttons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post

Before everyone starts posting that it's too expensive because they read the MSRP price on the website and never looked anywhere else, it's $299 in stores.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    With mount too. I am going to get this mag as soon as I can. For now, I got to buy a house first. And then a KRG chassis for my CZ455 LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VortexOptics View Post
    Before everyone starts posting that it's too expensive because they read the MSRP price on the website and never looked anywhere else, it's $299 in stores.
    Significantly lighter and an inch shorter than the G33, interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post

It looks fine, but for $450 is a hard pass for a hobby grade. Plus a non-adjustable height is a big downside. People running lower 1/3 and 1.93 mounts are out of luck.

You can find a combat proven brand new Eotech G33 for that much.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    It looks fine, but for $450 is a hard pass for a hobby grade. Plus a non-adjustable height is a big downside. People running lower 1/3 and 1.93 mounts are out of luck.

You can find a combat proven brand new Eotech G33 for that much.
    See below
    Quote Originally Posted by VortexOptics View Post
    The website says it may introduce parallax. How’s it compare to the legacy 3x on that front, and in eye relief? Also, what about those of us running lower third and 1.93 mounts?

Edit: website specs show slightly longer eye relief.
    Last edited by 1168; 08-22-19 at 13:55.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    See below

The website says it may introduce parallax. How’s it compare to the legacy 3x on that front, and in eye relief? Also, what about those of us running lower third and 1.93 mounts?
    The Huey and Crossfire both have lower 1/3 mounts so my guess is that’s what it is designed to be used with. Their stated eye relief is longer that both their earlier magnifier and the G33.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    This looks really nice. I'm anxious to try one. It will match nicely with a micro red dot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    See below

Edit: website specs show slightly longer eye relief.
    Editing our previous response entirely here as we've now gotten some new information - it's good news - but apologies for the confusion.

The magnifier actually DOES NOT introduce any additional parallax to the sight than it already has. As many may already know, all the red dots and holographic sights on the market that we know today that are listed as "Parallax Free" are not actually truly 100% parallax free. For all intents and purposes, they are close enough, but you can see this fact especially at extremely close distances. Put your sight on a stable surface and look at a spot on the wall within 5 yards or so and move your head around behind the optic. You'll see the dot move around and not stay on the same point as you change where your eye is behind the dot. This is parallax. The dot isn't actually physically moving like it would if you adjusted your turrets, but it's moving in relation to the target, which would cause you to make a correction, but that correction is based off of an error. Luckily, at extreme close distances, even though you'll see your red dot moving around off its actual point of aim, the amount it's actually moving in reality may be about 1 MOA or perhaps a little more, but at that close of a distance, that's an extremely small amount of shift on the target itself. (1 MOA at 10 yards is *roughly* 1/10th of an inch in this crude example).

Anyway - if you get a magnifier and put it behind your red dot or holographic sight, it's magnifying everything 3x (In the case of our magnifiers) or even more. The image is magnified, the reticle is magnified, and any parallax that exists will also be magnified. It's severity is no different because EVERYTHING is simultaneously being magnified, so the net effect is no change, but it may *look* to someone as though it is inducing more parallax because now they are noticing it more than they did before the magnifier was engaged.

We used to say this was mostly the case with the SPARC and SPARC II, but according to the engineers, apparently those two sights exhibited a bit more parallax to begin with than our current red dots in the lineup, so it was more noticeable through the magnifier. Through some miscommunication, since those used to be our only micro red dots, we carried on the same "warning" (For lack of a better term) to our newer micro red dots like the SPARC AR, Crossfire red dot, open tops, etc.

So - with the release of this new magnifier, we got together for a meeting and had an excellent round of "Oh, you meant THAT??" and engineers going "Oh, you thought we meant THAT??" It was.... Fun. But now we're all on the same page. We will be updating the website to echo this, but you heard it here now - our magnifiers will work perfectly fine behind ALL our dots.

Thanks!
    Last edited by VortexOptics; 08-26-19 at 09:08. Reason: New Information

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The Huey and Crossfire both have lower 1/3 mounts so my guess is that’s what it is designed to be used with. Their stated eye relief is longer that both their earlier magnifier and the G33.

This can be used at absolute or lower 1/3 co-witness heights with the addition or subtraction of the included riser shim.
    Last edited by VortexOptics; 08-22-19 at 16:24. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast