Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vortex Micro 3x magnifier

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Very nice to have VortexOptics here to address these issues and field questions. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VortexOptics View Post
    The sight has the potential to induce parallax, yes, but that's mostly on the shooter. If you don't adjust the magnifier properly behind your optic (After zeroing the optic NOT through the magnifier) then you may have some issues with induced parallax. Also, if trying to use this behind a micro red dot (Like our Crossfire, a T1, an MRO, etc) then you may also have some potential for induced parallax. The ideal sights for this to be used behind with the least chance for issue is the UH-1 holographic sight (Or other holographics) and the Strikefire II red dot sight (Or other larger red dot sights like it). It can still be used with others, provided the shooter knows the previously mentioned points.
    This can be used at absolute or lower 1/3 co-witness heights with the addition or subtraction of the included riser shim.
    Thanks. I’ll be buying one soon.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    This can be used at absolute or lower 1/3 co-witness heights with the addition or subtraction of the included riser shim.
    Maybe I suck at reading, but I didn't see that mentioned on the sight. You guys should definitely make sure its included. I'm definitely getting one at some point, I liked my G33 but never used it enough to justify the higher price.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    This looks like another good product from Vortex, and I’ll have to try one out. Your presence here is a good thing, Vortex.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    They’re great for getting a good zero on your dot. And if you have more than one rifle with identical dots, you only need one magnifier, so they make sense logistically. Kinda like a QD sling, or two uppers and one lower. Its cost effective. They’re also good if you want Aimpoint battery life with some of the LPVO’s versatility. I own and use both. The reason for my interest in the compact model is that my current Vortex 3x fits behind my PROs in cantilever mounts, but not my M4S on a Larue. If you don’t like magnifiers, then what is your interest in this thread?

As far as “battle proven” goes, a flip up mag does not have the same critical-ness (made that up) as a primary optic. If it goes down, not a huge deal. And I’m not saying I have any reason to believe that this product is not as durable as other options. My Vortex 3x has a very solid feel to it.

I didn’t like magnifiers, either, when Eotech and Aimpoint ones started showing up on our rifles overseas. I thought they were heavy and silly afterthoughts. But I didn’t try to stop anyone from using them that liked them. Same story with LPVO’s due to smaller field of view and weight. But I approached them with an open mind and gradually came to like them both.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to M4 for opening this back up. We made an edit to our response back on Page 1 regarding the parallax question with micro red dots. You can check that out for the full scoop. In short, we can speak to our magnifiers and dots best and can confirm that our magnifiers work perfectly fine with all of our red dots and holographic sights. We'll need to update some of the pages on our website to echo this, so if you see them saying otherwise in the near future, please ignore for the time being.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thank you for sharing and providing the back story and insight. Glad to have you guys with us here at M4C!

Thanks to M4 for opening this back up. We made an edit to our response back on Page 1 regarding the parallax question with micro red dots. You can check that out for the full scoop. In short, we can speak to our magnifiers and dots best and can confirm that our magnifiers work perfectly fine with all of our red dots and holographic sights. We'll need to update some of the pages on our website to echo this, so if you see them saying otherwise in the near future, please ignore for the time being.

Thanks
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks
    Thanks for the updates--looks interesting.

Would this work with an Aimpoint T2 that's on a standard height mount, with my irons setup for 1/3 lower co-witness?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    As far as “battle proven” goes, a flip up mag does not have the same critical-ness (made that up) as a primary optic. If it goes down, not a huge deal. And I’m not saying I have any reason to believe that this product is not as durable as other options. My Vortex 3x has a very solid feel to it.

I didn’t like magnifiers, either, when Eotech and Aimpoint ones started showing up on our rifles overseas. I thought they were heavy and silly afterthoughts. But I didn’t try to stop anyone from using them that liked them. Same story with LPVO’s due to smaller field of view and weight. But I approached them with an open mind and gradually came to like them both.
    What are your thoughts on the role of a magnifier behind a red dot that has no ballistic holdovers, no reticle? Is it basically to let you get more precise hits within the MPBR of the zeroed rifle?

I've never run one of these red dot magnifiers, but if trying to choose between this and an LPVO for a new rifle, having a hard time thinking of the incentive to go this route. Maybe weight and cost savings, depending on what LPVO you get? Plus the SLIGHT possible advantage of a true red dot at close range?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Thanks for the updates--looks interesting.

Would this work with an Aimpoint T2 that's on a standard height mount, with my irons setup for 1/3 lower co-witness?
    Absolutely it would. You can use it with absolute or lower 1/3 co-witness height sights. Mind you, you won't be able to use your irons through the optic, though. However you have your irons set up is entirely up to you and they won't be deployed unless the optic is flipped to the side or removed with the QD base.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast