I've signed them before as a sales rep before but never had any problems...One employer let me go for no reason after taking the company from a 500k biz to 6mm over 5 years, but agreed to pay me commissions I brought in for a year if I wouldn't go to work for the competition. After the one year I did just that & they closed shop not too long after simply due to stupidity & not understanding the importance of sales / relationships.

This was all in manufacturing in Mexico in the maquilas several years ago & when the issues over there got ugly to uglier, I decided to leave & change my direction to keep me out of the country...one of my superiors who was a complete idiot threatened to take me to court over a rumor I jumped ship to the competition & the agreement I signed. I played the game, told him I was going take all the biz with me & I had the 'right to work' bs being in TX on my side & he came unglued. Our main boss who I stayed very good friends with let him work himself up for months which made for some great long distant phone conversations & laughs.

Anyway, depending on your industry I think it would be wise to do just what you are considering & look at the options with trusted attny who understands your situation & mostly has experience with the issue. Good luck.