Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Centurion 12.5” mid-length input

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Centurion 12.5” mid-length input

I’ve personally been looking hard at a triarc 12.5 mid lately, not much info out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PrivateCitizen View Post
    As the Centurion is cut down from a Mid Length I can only assume the gas port is the same as a standard Centurion mid …

So, as I have a mid barrel just collecting dust (BA Hanson 16" Stainless .223Wylde) … is a chop/tap/crown a reliable pathway (as in how much does it depend on the port sizing?)

@docsherm, Adjustable gas block? Also, what A5 buffer wight do you run … and do you need to change it between un/suppressed?

Thanks all!

I already have a BCM factory SBR and an A5 (A5H3 I think) … obviously in carbine as that is how they do it
    I do not like adjustable gas blocks. It runds with or without a can and holds back on the ladt round, even with crap ammo. I use the lightest onf the A5 buffers. I beleave it is the 0 weight.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Huh. I swore you had a Centurion 12.5 middy.

Did Rainier stop making those? They're not on their website.
    I believe so. They just didn't catch on for some reason. I do know that Noveske does make a SS 12.5 Middy.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Has anyone used a 12.5inch mid length barrel, specifically if possible from Centurion?

Centurion states that these are cut from a 16 inch mid.

I know there are several 13.7 mid length barrels but I’ve never heard of a Mid length on something as short as the 12.5.

Would appreciate feedback particularly on experience.
    Yeah I owned a Centurion 12.5. Great barrel particularly for suppressed use. Without the can mine demanded 5.56 and hit the big “reject” button on 223 ammo. It’s a CHF barrel and damn accurate, but the fact I wouldn’t cycle 223 was a no-go for me. Other CA 12.5 owners mileage may vary, “that guy” who has a dedicated rifles with a can. I usually think outside of a single purpose like that and I expect my AR’s to run 5.56 and 223 and do it well without issues - if that means I suck a little more gas, so be it. But that was my experience. Very accurate, Hell on Wheels with a can, but did not fulfill my requirements.

However, if I ever did become “that guy” with an SBR running fully suppressed, that barrel would be at the absolute top of my list.

ETA: thank you Woodford for letting me miss the whole mid-length part of this discussion. Disregard all after “Yeah”
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 08-24-19 at 23:50.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    If Centurion CHF barrels are forged around a tapered mandrel, and the 12.5" mid is cut down from a 16", are the benefits of the taper lessened compared to the 12.5" carbine?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As the Centurion is cut down from a Mid Length I can only assume the gas port is the same as a standard Centurion mid …

So, as I have a mid barrel just collecting dust (BA Hanson 16" Stainless .223Wylde) … is a chop/tap/crown a reliable pathway (as in how much does it depend on the port sizing?)

@docsherm, Adjustable gas block? Also, what A5 buffer wight do you run … and do you need to change it between un/suppressed?

Thanks all!

I already have a BCM factory SBR and an A5 (A5H3 I think) … obviously in carbine as that is how they do it
    Here is a conversation I recently had with Corrie at Centurion Arms re port size of the 12.5 mid-length vs the 11.5 carbine length barrels.

"The gas ports are very different...the carbine is .067" and the midlength is .080" . Traditionally, you'd get the carbine length...but the midlegth was done special for a customer who requested it...and it has become the "new big thing." LOL People seem to love it right now...so if you want the cool new toy.... Functionally, people like the carbine with the small port if you;re shooting suppressed...but if you;re not, both are great and the mid is a "softer" shooter.."

So, I don't know what the gas port size is on the longer mid-length barrels from Centurion, but the 12.5 is .080.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Gas port sizes:

Centurion - .0790
    Triarc - .0770
    Craddock Precision (Rainier Arms) - .0780

Here is the BookFace info that was asked about yesterday. It was posted by a friend of mine that has the first barrel CA ever did.

The reality is that the 12.5 mid gas gives the recoil impulse of an extremely reduced 12.5 carbine gas barrel while still imparting less pressure on the bolt face. Mine is extremely smooth shooting and ridiculously accurate for what it is, but that's a common trend in Monty's barrels. He uses a true to spec M249/M240 barrel steel with an extra thick hard chrome liner. His barrels have a tapered bore and are beautifully cut and crowned. To this point, I have yet to hear a complaint one about the quality or accuracy potential of his barrels. I don't think Centurion Arms places any accuracy guarantee on their CHF barrels, but they could. Mine is far more accurate than I am with a good 1-6 on it.

There are a lot of folks that say 12.5 mid gas doesn't have enough unlocked dwell to be reliable in extremely cold weather without an oversized gas port, but mine has been 100% with XM193, M855, M855A1, Mk318 and Mk262 as well as PMC 223A and Wolf Gold from as low as 36 degrees up to 96 degrees so far. Running a mil-spec spring and H2 and H3 buffer.

More info related to the A5 system:

With an A5, standard rifle spring and A5H2 it feels like a BCM 16" middy with A5H2 and green. The recoil impulse is just as soft as my .062 ported Hodge 12.5s.
    Last edited by drtywk; 08-25-19 at 11:41.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The 12.5" MID configuration works best in a dedicated suppressed setup with an appropriately small gas port.

It has very similar timing to our new 11.5" EXC barrels which are purpose built for suppressed use.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    The 12.5" MID configuration works best in a dedicated suppressed setup with an appropriately small gas port.

It has very similar timing to our new 11.5" EXC barrels which are purpose built for suppressed use.
    Are you referring to the Centurian Arms one? Because that is not the case for the Rainier Arms or the Noveske ones i have shot.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drtywk View Post
    Gas port sizes:

Centurion - .0790
    Triarc - .0770
    Craddock Precision (Rainier Arms) - .0780

Here is the BookFace info that was asked about yesterday. It was posted by a friend of mine that has the first barrel CA ever did.

The reality is that the 12.5 mid gas gives the recoil impulse of an extremely reduced 12.5 carbine gas barrel while still imparting less pressure on the bolt face. Mine is extremely smooth shooting and ridiculously accurate for what it is, but that's a common trend in Monty's barrels. He uses a true to spec M249/M240 barrel steel with an extra thick hard chrome liner. His barrels have a tapered bore and are beautifully cut and crowned. To this point, I have yet to hear a complaint one about the quality or accuracy potential of his barrels. I don't think Centurion Arms places any accuracy guarantee on their CHF barrels, but they could. Mine is far more accurate than I am with a good 1-6 on it.

There are a lot of folks that say 12.5 mid gas doesn't have enough unlocked dwell to be reliable in extremely cold weather without an oversized gas port, but mine has been 100% with XM193, M855, M855A1, Mk318 and Mk262 as well as PMC 223A and Wolf Gold from as low as 36 degrees up to 96 degrees so far. Running a mil-spec spring and H2 and H3 buffer.

More info related to the A5 system:

With an A5, standard rifle spring and A5H2 it feels like a BCM 16" middy with A5H2 and green. The recoil impulse is just as soft as my .062 ported Hodge 12.5s.
    What Facebook group is this?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast