Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Ruger LCR a good HD option for wife?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Is the Ruger LCR a good HD option for wife?

I am traveling more often for work and with my son away for college the wife and youngest daughter are staying home alone more often, I need a good/decent HD gun for the wife.

She is 4’11” and weighs $1.05. She limp wrists my G19 and struggles with Racking the slide on the Shield 9mm. I took her to the range the other day and she shot the Ruger LCR 38Special +P well. Before for I go out and buy one is there any reservations I should have? I understand, and she understands it’s a 5 shot revolver so capacity is limited in comparison to other modern firearms. She is fine with the five rounds.

What are you thoughts, thanks for the input.

-Geo.
    Live free or die trying!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Many recommend a J frame S&W or similar (5 shot “pocket” gun) for wife.

IMO this is a mistake, a “J” frame is an experts gun if you shoot one well.
    Since concealment is apparently not at issue, I’d recommend a K frame, 6 shot S&W or similar.
    The K frames (m10//15/19/66) have excellent double action triggers as a rule, are much easier to shoot than a J frame and obviously hold an additional rd.
    With one exception, all of the women I’ve coached have preferred an old, 2” K frame (m10) that I’d done double action work to, over all the handguns I’d brought for them to try.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I think it'd be worth checking out the S&W M&P 380 EZ. Mr. Guns n Gear Review
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

Since concealment is apparently not at issue, I’d recommend a K frame, 6 shot S&W or similar.
    The K frames (m10//15/19/66) have excellent double action triggers as a rule, are much easier to shoot than a J frame and obviously hold an additional rd.
    With one exception, all of the women I’ve coached have preferred an old, 2” K frame (m10) that I’d done double action work to, over all the handguns I’d brought for them to try.

That's what I was going to say. 4" S&W M10. Bunches of used, trade-ins out there that get little or no attention.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you have a rental range in the area it can't hurt to try some other pistols, but if she is shooting an LCR well that may be the ticket.

Have only handled, but not shot, a Walther CCP and they are extremely easy to rack the slide on and supposedly very light on recoil. Fairly thin grip also.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 08-25-19 at 17:14.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is it strictly HD? If so I'd go with a K or larger frame or Ruger SP/GP.

6 rounds in a heavier platform with longer barrel to get as much as possible out of the caliber

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you go the LCR route I'd look at getting the LCRx with the 3" barrel and larger grip.

Feedback Score
    The S&W 442 Performance Center is on sale for $399 at CDNN and is extremely pleasant to shoot with wad cutters. The Performance Center 442 has a better trigger than the LCR IMO. A little orange paint on the front site and its GTG.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Absolutely the LCR is a great choice for a "non-enthusiast".

I recommend the .327 magnum model. Hammerless. Practice with .32 acp, .32 S&W Long, and .32 H&R magnum. She can keep it loaded with the .32 mag. Don't bother with the .327 magnum load, that would just be mean. This model holds 6 shots. Speed loaders and loading strips are available.

The 3-inch model in .38 is also a good choice. Less concealable, and being the alloy frame and .38 will have a little more recoil. 5 shots.

I recommend hammerless models with the 2 inch barrels because when the hammer goes back it blocks half of the front sight.

The 2 inch .357 model is also a great choice because it will kick less than the lighter .38 model. Again, don't let her shoot .357 magnum from it.

The LCR .38 is 15 oz loaded
    The LCR .357 and .327 are about 19 oz loaded. It makes a big difference in reducing recoil.

The rimfire models have heavier triggers than the centerfire models. I don't recommend them. The centerfire LCR's have good triggers.

I don't recommend the S&W airweights or .38 Bodyguard. They have very heavy triggers and kick more due to the frame design. Most also have the stupid trigger lock.

I know they are $500 but the LCR .357 shooting .38's kicks less than the LCR .38 shooting .38's.

She will enjoy the LCR .327 model the most because it kicks the least. It's very fun / pleasant to shoot and will make her want (or least, not mind) to practice.
    It also holds a sixth shot as I mentioned.

I've had all of these models except the 3 inch. Our favorite is the .327. Wife loves it.

If you do get the .38, stick with easy, low flash loads. 125 gr / 130 gr stuff. No +p. She won't like them. All .38 ammo from a snub is mediocre anyway.
    Last edited by Ron3; 08-25-19 at 21:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

^^^ This is good advice.

A Model 15 with wadcutters for practice is almost like shooting a .22 and they'll even get the job done for defense. Avoid at all cost any RN load, they deflect off things like bone while the wadcutter will cut through. Put in some good Gold Dot +P for defense, they'll be much more pleasant to shoot in a steel gun.

It's damned hard for most petite women to shoot an lightweight snub, it's about the worst option out there actually. The carrying part is nice, but the shooting part is brutal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast