Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the Ruger LCR a good HD option for wife?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Is the Ruger LCR a good HD option for wife?

I am traveling more often for work and with my son away for college the wife and youngest daughter are staying home alone more often, I need a good/decent HD gun for the wife.

She is 4’11” and weighs $1.05. She limp wrists my G19 and struggles with Racking the slide on the Shield 9mm. I took her to the range the other day and she shot the Ruger LCR 38Special +P well. Before for I go out and buy one is there any reservations I should have? I understand, and she understands it’s a 5 shot revolver so capacity is limited in comparison to other modern firearms. She is fine with the five rounds.

What are you thoughts, thanks for the input.

-Geo.
    Live free or die trying!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Many recommend a J frame S&W or similar (5 shot “pocket” gun) for wife.

IMO this is a mistake, a “J” frame is an experts gun if you shoot one well.
    Since concealment is apparently not at issue, I’d recommend a K frame, 6 shot S&W or similar.
    The K frames (m10//15/19/66) have excellent double action triggers as a rule, are much easier to shoot than a J frame and obviously hold an additional rd.
    With one exception, all of the women I’ve coached have preferred an old, 2” K frame (m10) that I’d done double action work to, over all the handguns I’d brought for them to try.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I think it'd be worth checking out the S&W M&P 380 EZ. Mr. Guns n Gear Review
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

Since concealment is apparently not at issue, I’d recommend a K frame, 6 shot S&W or similar.
    The K frames (m10//15/19/66) have excellent double action triggers as a rule, are much easier to shoot than a J frame and obviously hold an additional rd.
    With one exception, all of the women I’ve coached have preferred an old, 2” K frame (m10) that I’d done double action work to, over all the handguns I’d brought for them to try.

That's what I was going to say. 4" S&W M10. Bunches of used, trade-ins out there that get little or no attention.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you have a rental range in the area it can't hurt to try some other pistols, but if she is shooting an LCR well that may be the ticket.

Have only handled, but not shot, a Walther CCP and they are extremely easy to rack the slide on and supposedly very light on recoil. Fairly thin grip also.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 08-25-19 at 17:14.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

^^^ This is good advice.

A Model 15 with wadcutters for practice is almost like shooting a .22 and they'll even get the job done for defense. Avoid at all cost any RN load, they deflect off things like bone while the wadcutter will cut through. Put in some good Gold Dot +P for defense, they'll be much more pleasant to shoot in a steel gun.

It's damned hard for most petite women to shoot an lightweight snub, it's about the worst option out there actually. The carrying part is nice, but the shooting part is brutal.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    OP here...

Thanks guys for the input. I didn't consider a "K" frame revolver. Ill have her try one next range outing. Living in California (I know...) limits my options if I want to buy new. So some great handguns are not available unless I buy them at inflated prices on the secondary market, from a private party used.
    Live free or die trying!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider View Post

It's damned hard for most petite women to shoot an lightweight snub, it's about the worst option out there actually. The carrying part is nice, but the shooting part is brutal.
    I agree, unless the recoil is nothing and next to nothing.

Which is what you get firing .32 acp and .32 S&W Long from an LCR.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I agree, unless the recoil is nothing and next to nothing.

Which is what you get firing .32 acp and .32 S&W Long from an LCR.
    He did say she shoots 38+p well. Not every woman is so sensitive. My sister, who's not a gun person and not into shooting won't bother unless it starts with at least 44mag. She's 5ft something and 100lbs. All the smaller bullets are boring, her words.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    UPDATE:

The Ruger LCR .38 +P it is. We went to the range a second time and she tried several other guns and she kept coming back to the Ruger LCR. She explained the reason why she picked the Ruger LCR, she likes the smooth predictable trigger pull. She also like the fact that part of the soft grip covers the trigger guard so her knuckle doesn’t get abused during recoil.

Thanks for the input. I had her read this thread and she was amazed at all the willingness to help.

-Geo
    Live free or die trying!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast