Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Ruger LCR a good HD option for wife?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    OP here...

Thanks guys for the input. I didn't consider a "K" frame revolver. Ill have her try one next range outing. Living in California (I know...) limits my options if I want to buy new. So some great handguns are not available unless I buy them at inflated prices on the secondary market, from a private party used.
    Live free or die trying!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You shouldn't have a problem finding used K frames. The SW model 10 was THE handgun in police holsters for over 50 years. Aim Surplus has Model 64 38/357 for sale.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Absolutely the LCR is a great choice for a "non-enthusiast".

I recommend the .327 magnum model. Hammerless. Practice with .32 acp, .32 S&W Long, and .32 H&R magnum. She can keep it loaded with the .32 mag. Don't bother with the .327 magnum load, that would just be mean. This model holds 6 shots. Speed loaders and loading strips are available.

The 3-inch model in .38 is also a good choice. Less concealable, and being the alloy frame and .38 will have a little more recoil. 5 shots.

I recommend hammerless models with the 2 inch barrels because when the hammer goes back it blocks half of the front sight.

The 2 inch .357 model is also a great choice because it will kick less than the lighter .38 model. Again, don't let her shoot .357 magnum from it.

The LCR .38 is 15 oz loaded
    The LCR .357 and .327 are about 19 oz loaded. It makes a big difference in reducing recoil.

The rimfire models have heavier triggers than the centerfire models. I don't recommend them. The centerfire LCR's have good triggers.

I don't recommend the S&W airweights or .38 Bodyguard. They have very heavy triggers and kick more due to the frame design. Most also have the stupid trigger lock.

I know they are $500 but the LCR .357 shooting .38's kicks less than the LCR .38 shooting .38's.

She will enjoy the LCR .327 model the most because it kicks the least. It's very fun / pleasant to shoot and will make her want (or least, not mind) to practice.
    It also holds a sixth shot as I mentioned.

I've had all of these models except the 3 inch. Our favorite is the .327. Wife loves it.

If you do get the .38, stick with easy, low flash loads. 125 gr / 130 gr stuff. No +p. She won't like them. All .38 ammo from a snub is mediocre anyway.
    ^^This^^ is what I bought my daughter too. 6 rounds instead of 5! She likes shooting the 32 H&R Magnum round. It's still plenty for home defense and easier to shoot then the .327 round. 32 S&W short is like shooting a BB gun.

Feedback Score
    Choosing a gun for another person may only work, with limited success, in the Military or LE departments. Military/LE can wash-out an applicant who can't conform and qualify with a mandated firearm. This doesn't work as well with wives.

I recommend letting the wife choose her own firearm (notice I didn't limit firearm to just a handgun). Here's another website which better describes the process better than I can.

http://www.corneredcat.com/contents/

It's good for her (not you) to consider a revolver. She'll need to try an LCR out, along with which caliber. For revolvers, some folks will do better with a slightly larger variant, e.g., the SP101 (someone already mentioned an S&W K-frame). I've actually considered getting a .38 LCR, but for now, my two S&W J-frames are doing fine in that area.

Also consider longer guns whether shotgun, rifle, or something like the AR-pistol (various calibers available).

Practice/training. Also consider to what extent the person is going to practice AND get training with any firearm type. Regarding the semi vs. revolver handgun issue, most folks can learn how to manipulate and load any firearm with training & practice. Also, how likely is reloading going to be necessary or can the firearm be left loaded somewhere (as in a safe). Semiautos may be easy to load from slide lock for some folks; where revolvers may be more difficult via speedloader, individual rounds, or even a moonclip, again, without training & practice.

Caliber is another variable. I'd rather have someone hit with a .22LR than miss with a .38 Special, btw, but leads back to practice.

All the other comments are very good, btw. I'm just presenting some other options/considerations.

Lastly; to what extent is the person mentally willing to use lethal force (no need to answer in this thread)? This is an issue for each person for which to mentally prepare. I understand most parents will do anything for their children. The distinction is willing-to-kill and not just willing-to-die in protection of loved ones or self.

Firearms is another layer of security to go along with awareness; communication/phones; alarms; other weapons (knives/clubs/batons/OC spray/tasers); locks; gates/doors/fences.
    Last edited by L-2; 08-26-19 at 12:54.

Feedback Score
    I will second the M&P 380 EZ. I just bought one for my wife who has difficulty racking any of my semi-autos. The S&W is amazingly light to rack the slide. She has no problems at all with it. Neither does my 11 yr old son. I can cycle the slide using one finger! It's really that easy. Recoil is almost non-existent as well. Even the magazines are very easy to load. Take her to a gun shop & have her try it. It was designed for people of all ages with little hand strength to operate & use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider View Post

It's damned hard for most petite women to shoot an lightweight snub, it's about the worst option out there actually. The carrying part is nice, but the shooting part is brutal.
    I agree, unless the recoil is nothing and next to nothing.

Which is what you get firing .32 acp and .32 S&W Long from an LCR.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I agree, unless the recoil is nothing and next to nothing.

Which is what you get firing .32 acp and .32 S&W Long from an LCR.
    He did say she shoots 38+p well. Not every woman is so sensitive. My sister, who's not a gun person and not into shooting won't bother unless it starts with at least 44mag. She's 5ft something and 100lbs. All the smaller bullets are boring, her words.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    UPDATE:

The Ruger LCR .38 +P it is. We went to the range a second time and she tried several other guns and she kept coming back to the Ruger LCR. She explained the reason why she picked the Ruger LCR, she likes the smooth predictable trigger pull. She also like the fact that part of the soft grip covers the trigger guard so her knuckle doesn’t get abused during recoil.

Thanks for the input. I had her read this thread and she was amazed at all the willingness to help.

-Geo
    Live free or die trying!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pistol caliber carbine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56Geo View Post
    UPDATE:

The Ruger LCR .38 +P it is. We went to the range a second time and she tried several other guns and she kept coming back to the Ruger LCR. She explained the reason why she picked the Ruger LCR, she likes the smooth predictable trigger pull. She also like the fact that part of the soft grip covers the trigger guard so her knuckle doesn’t get abused during recoil.

Thanks for the input. I had her read this thread and she was amazed at all the willingness to help.

-Geo
    Cool. Try get some very low-powered practice ammo. Most LRN is, but not all. (Geco LRN is like service-powder-load. No idea why)

Georgia Arms wadcutter reloads are the most accurate .38 I've found. About $13.50/50. The 125 gr semiwadcutters are good, too.

The less recoil, the more she'll want to shoot. (Generally)

For buisness, I recommend something with less recoil than heavy +p ammo. Those kick hard in that flyweight gun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast