Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SLR-101S questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

SLR-101S questions

A liberal friend of mine gave me her ex husbands SLR-101S. I don’t like it, and I don’t get all the hype.

It appears to be a ban model; I know nothing about these guns. The magwell appears opened up to accept normal AK mags but it still has the 3 slot brake and there is no plunger to hold it in. It looks pinned or something. There’s no bayo lug either.

If I’m to keep this, I want to take that brake off and replace it. I’m sure it’s loud. How can I do that? Is there anything else I need to know about this gun? Specifically, will it function? I’ve been reading that some guys open up these magwells with dremels in their garages. Don’t they require a different bolt?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    101S rifles were imported in a few different configurations, do you have any pictures?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

Feedback Score
    The muzzle break on my SLR101s was on very tightly but I was able to remove it and replace it with a Smith Vortex. FWIW, the SLR101s is a very well-made carbine.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    101S rifles were imported in a few different configurations, do you have any pictures?
    It looks exactly like this. Given that it’s so old (he bought it new almost 20 years ago) I just assumed the muzzle device was permanently attached since the AWB was still in place. My limited research says this thing was imported with a single stack magwell and was opened up here, but even bypassing 922r it still would’ve been under the AWB and couldn’t have two evil features.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Eurodriver; 08-26-19 at 08:54.

Feedback Score
    And the ex-hubby didn't get to keep his rifle? WTH? Good for you though. Free rifle!

I know a lot of states put the ex on a no-buy NICS list and you need to pay a lawyer extra to petition to stay off of it.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    So I love AKs but I hate milled AKs. Your adding 1lb to an already heavy rifle. If it's in very good condition you can get $850-$1200 for it. I personally would not mess with it and I would sell it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I wish I was in your shoes for getting a free rifle (albeit under likely better circumstances).

The SLR101s were pretty decent Arsenal AKs however being they are milled, they are heavy pigs. If you are interested in an AK platform, you could keep this one and have a good AK-smith take care of the break—or your could sell/trade for a stamped gun of your choosing.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    And the ex-hubby didn't get to keep his rifle? WTH? Good for you though. Free rifle!

I know a lot of states put the ex on a no-buy NICS list and you need to pay a lawyer extra to petition to stay off of it.

What states are those that put an ex-husband on a no buy list just because they got a divorce? Never heard of that one before.

And, since the OP opened the door on how he acquired the firearm, was the liberal ex-wife awarded the firearm in the divorce decree or marital settlement agreement? If not, possession of a stolen firearm is a serious offense.
    Last edited by peruna; 08-31-19 at 21:17.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by peruna View Post
    What states are those that put an ex-husband on a no buy list just because they got a divorce? Never heard of that one before.

And, since the OP opened the door on how he acquired the firearm, was the liberal ex-wife awarded the firearm in the divorce decree or marital settlement agreement? If not, possession of a stolen firearm is a serious offense.
    Sometimes I wonder how much people read or how much of what they read they comprehend.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast