Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: SLR-101S questions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I'm 100% certain I've seen Arsenal guns at the LGS that were stamped
    Yes. Bulgaria made 5.45x39 rifles for their military and likely for export if anyone was buying. These were done with the assistance of the Russians in the beginning. They took on more and more of the production themselves. The stamped 7.62x39 and 5.56x45 rifles you've seen are creations for the US market. I don't know why they make them for the US market and not for military contracts, but that's the way it is.

and 99.9% certain that if I open AK-47: The Grim Reaper to the Bulgaria section that I will find pictures of Bulgarian stamped 7.62x39mm guns in a variety of sizes and shapes.
    I don't have a copy of the book, but I'd love to see your pictures. As far as I know, Bulgaria never made an AKM. How many demilled Bulgarian stamped receiver 7.62x39 or 5.56x45 parts kits have you ever seen? Zero (kits that K-Var cobbled together from new parts don't count).

I'm also about 100% certain that licensing was a null word or concept in the communist world. Especially given that Yugoslavia/Serbia, Finland, Israel, and South Africa have paid roughly ₽0 to the Russians for their very unlicensed AK copies.
    Not correct. Foreign factories have paid royalties to the Russians. The other rifles you're talking about are AK variants, but not the same designs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Thanks Bryan. This is what I assumed based on my limited reading but couldn’t be sure.

How can I tell the difference in bolts? Mine has been converted to accept normal mags but I haven’t fired it yet to test function.

Not interested in a military clone. I want to turn this into a “modern” cool kid AK.

I already have a Chinese Galil-folder and a Chinese folding spike bayo fixed stock AK - both pre bans.
    Bulgarian narrow bolt stem:

Bulgarian standard bolt:

I've read mixed results with the narrow bolt stem and double stack mags... Maybe someone else can chime in if it's worth having the bolt/ BCG converted to double stack, or not?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan1211 View Post
    Bulgarian narrow bolt stem:I've read mixed results with the narrow bolt stem and double stack mags... Maybe someone else can chime in if it's worth having the bolt/ BCG converted to double stack, or not?
    I ran in to the same situation with an original Yugo PAP. The first batch imported used single stack magazines and was converted in the US to take regular double stack magazines. Fortunately, the stem size was the same, so that didn't enter in to the equation. The first thing to do is to check and see if it runs 100% using multiple magazines. If it does, there's no problem. If it has feeding issues which would typically be the bolt overriding the cartridge, then you'll need a standard bolt. As you can see from the pictures above, the standard bolt is wider at the bottom front. Because the standard bolt stem is larger in diameter, you'll then need a standard bolt carrier. Next, and this is the hard part, you'll have to headspace the bolt to the front trunnion. I did this myself, but you have to understand the process. A good AK gunsmith can do it, but I wouldn't just take it to a gunsmith that's not very familiar with AK's. Finally, it would be a good idea to engrave the serial number on the bolt (the carrier doesn't matter because it doesn't impact headspace). What you definitely don't want to do is just throw another carrier and bolt in there that was previously headspaced to another rifle. If you do that, you're asking for excessive headspace which can be bad for your health.

Here's a discussion of the AK headspacing process:
    https://www.theakforum.net/forums/18...o-pap-m70.html

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Bret. Bryan. Monk. Very helpful.

I actually sold the Milled Arsenal today, so I’m back to square one.

What I want is a top quality, primo “modernized” AK that I can potentially suppress. I definitely want a folding stock, and am considering Form 1’ing it.

I’ve been talking to rifle dynamics and they have a few “pistols” they could sell me and I could Form1 it and add the stock.

Help me decide!

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 08-01-20 at 12:15.

Feedback Score
    I'm an AK whore, but $2500 for an Arsenal milled receiver "factory" SBR (that was really made in to an SBR in Nevada) just can't be justified. And believe me, I have no problem at all justifying gun purchases. The same rifle can be purchased in non-SBR form for about $1850. You can chop the barrel yourself if you want to go the SBR route. I love milled receiver AK's and am generally fine with the extra weight, but just can't bring myself to purchase a milled receiver krink. The stamped krinks are both very small and very light. The SAM7SFK is not as good in either respect. I'm such an AK whore though that I might just end up getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    However I got to many AK's.
    You can never have too many AK's.

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 08-01-20 at 12:14.

Feedback Score
    Yep, Arsenal has the new SAM7K-44ASR that's a pistol, milled, threaded FSB/ suppressor ready and can take a couple of stock options once SBR'd.

Currently K-Var has the combo pistol w/ suppressor, but I'm sure they'll release the SAM7K-44ASR with out the suppressor soon.

https://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/sam7k...inny-rail.html

If I was buying another AK right now it would probably be a SAM7K-44 with the CNC Warrior brace (not my picture):

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Bret. Bryan. Monk. Very helpful.

I actually sold the Milled Arsenal today, so I’m back to square one.

What I want is a top quality, primo “modernized” AK that I can potentially suppress. I definitely want a folding stock, and am considering Form 1’ing it.

I’ve been talking to rifle dynamics and they have a few “pistols” they could sell me and I could Form1 it and add the stock.

Help me decide!
    There are 5. types of folding stocks. I'd recommend getting a hold of some to try out first. Not all are all that comfortable especially with prolonged shooting.

1. The absolute worst and not even an option but..... Hungarian wire folder

2. E. German/Polish/Romanian wire folder. Slightly better than the Hungarian.

3. Underfolder. Coolest looking, worst feeling. Doesn't allow for use of side mounted optics when folded

4. Skeleton stock/triangle stock. Bridges the gap between the underfolder and the solid stock. Better feeling but still metal on cheekbone. Not a big deal in 5.45 and I assume 5.56. can't imagine it feeling all that good in 7.62

5. 100 series/solid polymer. It's the standard polymer stock that folds to the side. The best of the 5. The most practical

These are the standard ones. There's also SVDS (I find most comfortable) Israeli Galil style. And a bunch of aftermarket AR, Zenit, DPH, ACE..etc.. and custom stuff.

Personally I find the SVDS style most comfortable but they're expensive and hard to find

Zenith makes good stuff but $$$$$$$$

If you want an SBR you may be better off starting with Arsenal 107 series. They're all around $1200. There's different types depending on how short you want to go with the barrel. The gas block is already set up for an SBR but has the 16in barrel for standard rifle sales
    Last edited by Arik; 08-29-19 at 12:39.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    It would be nice to have a collection you could fit in a single large duffle bag.
    We don't think alike. It would be nice to have a collection that I couldn't fit in to a large room.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast