Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 762x39 for deer

Feedback Score

762x39 for deer

Anyone one here have experience with the 762x39 for short range deer hunting? Been researching and found some loads that "claim" they are good for deer. Will be less then 75 yards and closer to 25-30 yards. 16" carbine barrel. So far i am settled on the double tap 150 grain JSP's and the hornaday SST's

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    7.62x39 is equivalent to 30-30

Feedback Score
    Yes, i know it has ballistics simulator to the 30-30. But i am asking what factory loads people have used.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have killed deer with Winchester white box soft points, 123gr round nose Prvi Partizan and old uly 8M3 ammo. The latter seemed to work a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks 390. I just googled the 8m3 load. Looks like tula has brought it back.

Feedback Score
    Shot some deer with federal soft point loads some years ago. I was not impressed. With a premium bullet like the TSX I would be willing to do it again.

Feedback Score
    That does not surprise me. I had a federal load for the 30-06 act like a fmj a few years ago. I honestly can not remember the type of load. But it was the grey box at walmart for 14 bucks a box. I normally use premium bullets. But was out and bought that box 2 days before. Stuff was only a target load and had horrible ballistics. Exit wound thru the ribs was rhe same size as the entry wound.

Feedback Score
    I apologize. It was winchester super X. Not federal. I just checked the box.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    Anyone one here have experience with the 762x39 for short range deer hunting? Been researching and found some loads that "claim" they are good for deer. Will be less then 75 yards and closer to 25-30 yards. 16" carbine barrel. So far i am settled on the double tap 150 grain JSP's and the hornaday SST's
    Is this your only hunting rifle? Is it a bolt action rifle?
    At those distances it should work. People have been successful with the Double Tap Soft Point loads.
    But if you have another rifle, a better suitable hunting round, I would go that route. Once you start paying premium prices for 762x39 rounds, the benefit of using it is minimized. If you are going to pay a higher price for hunting ammo, might as well use another rifle/hunting round.
    I asked if it is a bolt gun because an AK is heavy to carry around while hunting. Plus, there is something about taking the time and effort to place a proper shot on a deer. If all you need is one shot, why carry an AK?

Feedback Score
    Its a ruger american. And no. Its not my only rifle. I just wanted to switch it up. Bored using the 30-06 and wanted to try new things. A few years ago i tried a ar15. Worked pretty good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast