Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 762x39 for deer

Feedback Score
    I picked up some PPU ammo. The SP RN round. I will try them out later on today. I will be shooting paper so i will not know the ballistics. But i have read good stuff about them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    I picked up some PPU ammo. The SP RN round. I will try them out later on today. I will be shooting paper so i will not know the ballistics. But i have read good stuff about them.
    What does the profile look like?

I have some PPU in .308 Win & 8mm Mauser and both have a fairly rounded tip...not quite as round as Remington 8mm Mauser soft points, but definitely more than any sub 200gr .30 soft point I can recall seeing.

Really surprising on the .308 and somewhat so on the 8mm considering origin. In the grand scheme of things, probably no difference in performance at distances either would likely be used at of course.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 09-04-19 at 13:46.

Feedback Score
    Round, and i mean round. I will take a pic next to some winchester soft points and tula FMJ. I should have bought 2 boxes because they will be tried in a ar15, ak47 and the ruger american. i tried them in the ar15 and would not feed right from the 5 round mag but great from the 30 rounders a few years ago. I assume i will have the same result. But curios about the ruger.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I have a Cz 527 that I’m going to hunt with this year.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    That looks like a shortened .30-03! Looks like it would likely be safe in a tube feed.

will snap a pic of mine when I get home, but they are definitely not that blunt.

And I goofed! The blunt .308 is Perfecta (Fiocchi? imported by Tulammo) and the 8mm is PPU, although not as blunt as the Perfecta.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 09-05-19 at 18:27.

Feedback Score
    I've had good performance from the cheap Wolf 125gr soft point steel case ammo with both hogs & deer using a 12" barrel AR. All rounds have been complete pass throughs while hunting in the woods (max ranges of 50-60yds so far). Makes for good plinking and occasional hunting ammo without swapping mags.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123