Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 762x39 for deer

Feedback Score
    Also, i am not afraid to spend "premium" hunting ammo. I spend $2 a round for the 30-06. and $1.50 for the time used to the 5.56. I noticed with hunting ammo, you get what you pay for.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would start with the Prvi Partizan round nose soft point, not spritzer soft point. It always opens well. I don’t know that this is a good round for crazy raking shots or Texas heart shots. However, if you are hunting in a stand and you have deer wandering past you 75 yards and in, I think it is just about perfect. You can get outstanding performance from a moderate velocity round at these ranges.

I also shoot a 7x57 at the same distances loaded with a Hornady 175 gr round nose soft point. Goes about 2475 atthe muzzle. Doom for white tails inside 75 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks, i will look for those. Ya, the longest shot is 70ish yards. and most are 25-30. Trail goes right thru. Almost like clock work, right before dark. Always seem to shoot them at the same spot and time, year after year.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Seen two app. 150lbs does hit at around 25 yards with 2000-2005 production Federal or Winchester (can't recall which brand) soft points and neither got back up.

In all honesty, although not likely legal, if you could keep the shot that close I would suspect most ball ammo (with the possible exception of Chinese steel core) would drop one.

Feedback Score
    I thought about that also. I have some chinese copper cased stuff that is loaded hot, really hot. Its legal to do so here, but i want a clean kill and do not want the deer to run off as suffer. If i had more time, i would reload some stout loads, but season is coming soon. Here is maine, its legal to use a 22 mag for deer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yugo ball maybe, chicom ball no. M43 profile projectile yaws very late. Barnaul soft point would be a much, much better choice.

Feedback Score
    Shot a 280 lb Adirondack buck with Wolf hollow point. At about 300ft it was charging right at me but didn’t see me. It was literally dead before it hit the ground. It was snowing and I remember the massive sea of blood in the snow. This was the1980,s the rednecks I went with were chuckling about the AK before we went out but all wanted one when they saw what it did

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 390ish View Post
    Yugo ball maybe, chicom ball no. M43 profile projectile yaws very late. Barnaul soft point would be a much, much better choice.

My bad on the any ball except Chinese recommendation, you just jarred my memory.

Yugo is flat based and tumbles fast? I could distinctly recall an article on Chinese steel core not tumbling well and producing the least nasty wounds similar to some not high tech even at the time .38 spcl. loads and Yugo was mentioned as significantly better.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    Its a ruger american. And no. Its not my only rifle. I just wanted to switch it up. Bored using the 30-06 and wanted to try new things. A few years ago i tried a ar15. Worked pretty good.
    Got you. It’s good to change things up once in a while. The Ruger American is a good rifle.

Feedback Score
    I am very impressed with the ruger. I think next year i am going to get one in 30-06 and replace my remington 700

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast