Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide on my Next AR

Feedback Score

Trying to decide on my Next AR

I've owned 12 AR15s over the past 15 years, but they were all relatively similar. Only a S&W has really given me problems. I'm down to 2 ARs right now. I'd really like to have at least 3, because I believe in having enough of one type of gun to last a lifetime of hard shooting schedules. There are several times a year where I shoot over 1k rounds in one weekend at a class or training, and between those I try to shoot at least 250 rounds a week.

I'd asked about the reliability of 14.5" carbine length gas systems, and something that user scottryan said made me have a couple of questions. I tried to PM him with them, but his mailbox was full. I'd also like to hear everyone else's answers.

1. It's been said several times in many threads here that most 16" midlength gas guns have their ports opened so wide that they aren't more reliable than a properly gassed 14.5" or 16" carbine length gas AR. Who are some manufacturer's who create a properly gassed midlength, and will they reliably cycle weaker ammo as well in harsh conditions including freezing cold weather and a cruddy environment?

2. Two of the ARs I'm considering next are a BCM 14.5" pinned/welded SOCOM profile barrel, and a Colt LE620 SOCOM. They're the same set-up, but it seems hard to decipher which is of higher quality. There's a lot of talk about the Colts of today being not as high of quality as they used to be, whether from outsourcing or other factors. However, it seems generally accepted that the Colt's barrel is incredibly accurate compared to the BCM. Accuracy is far down on my list of priorities compared to reliability and durability, but it makes it harder to decide. Between a Colt and a BCM 14.5" SOCOM, what would be the better rifle in terms of reliability, durability, and longevity?

3. Besides the KAC, what is generally regarded as the most reliable and durable AR money can buy? There may be more than one, but some that come to mind that seem to be regarded as such include LMT, BCM, and SOLGW. LMT in particular seems well regarded across the board, but what holds me back on the LMT is their use of standard weight buffers, semi-auto bolt carriers, and straight-pinned gas blocks rather than the proper taper pins (according to some authorities, taper pins are more durable and less likely to walk out than straight pins). Do the guns they sell to the gov't have straight pins or taper pins? I was under the impression they all had to have taper pins.
    Last edited by MSplumber; 08-27-19 at 09:25. Reason: Edited to specify the midlength question pertains to 16" guns

Feedback Score
    I think you aren’t going to get a definitive answer. There is not data, outside of anecdotal evidence.

And no, not all 14.5” mid-lengths are opened up super wide.

You are over-thinking this stuff too much. Buy one you like and run the shit out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    There are a lot of choices but I doubt you'll regret the Colt LE620 SOCOM.
    Colt has had some issues with their less expensive lines trying to tap into the budget market but IMO the SOCOM is a great option.
    I'm a bit biased as I own two.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Can't tell you which one to get or which has better barrel quality. I can say the BCM's I've run have run to perfection and been extremely accurate. My current 16" SS is the most accurate AR I've ever shot. I can get any AR I want and just ordered another BCM barrel, one of the ELW lightweights. Their port size if I recall from earlier threads is 0.076 (somebody here will correct me if I'm off by a couple thousandths), just about perfect for handling multiple loads and making things like adjustable gas blocks unnecessary unless running suppressed.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Trying to decide on my Next AR

Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    I think you aren’t going to get a definitive answer. There is not data, outside of anecdotal evidence.

And no, not all 14.5” mid-lengths are opened up super wide.

You are over-thinking this stuff too much. Buy one you like and run the shit out of it.

I agree. Everyone here has a preference but you see the same brands over and over for a reason. People here have had issues with LMT and many others. Sionics is the only one I don’t remember ever seeing an issue about off the top of my head, but they turn out far less rifles than the bigger names like BCM (I’m assuming).

OP, I don’t know what threads you’re talking about with huge middy gas ports. The only ones that come to my mind are Noveske, older DDs, and cheaper guns like PSA. If you like the SOCOM, just buy whichever you can find cheapest (likely BCM). The differences when it comes to reliability are extremely minute which is awesome and why we can argue about which grip is better, but you’re definitely overthinking it.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    2. I don’t think anyone will really say one is higher quality than the other, re: Colt/BCM. However, Colt does have far more time manufacturing these items, and their SOCOM barrels seem to be a bit of a pinnacle for them. Were I choosing between the two, there would be no question for me (Colt). The benefits to the BCM are that it would likely include a more vertical pistol grip, nicer stock with QD socket, nicer trigger, and QD end plate.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSplumber View Post
    2. Two of the ARs I'm considering next are a BCM 14.5" pinned/welded SOCOM profile barrel, and a Colt LE620 SOCOM. They're the same set-up, but it seems hard to decipher which is of higher quality. There's a lot of talk about the Colts of today being not as high of quality as they used to be, whether from outsourcing or other factors. However, it seems generally accepted that the Colt's barrel is incredibly accurate compared to the BCM. Accuracy is far down on my list of priorities compared to reliability and durability, but it makes it harder to decide. Between a Colt and a BCM 14.5" SOCOM, what would be the better rifle in terms of reliability, durability, and longevity?
    I could not see the difference between Colt ARs and other brands- until I got my hands on a Colt, broke it down to replace the 16" barrel with a 14.5" M4A1 SOCOM barrel and started shooting it. There are a lot of things Colt simply does better than anything else I've gotten my hands on. Most are subtle. This impression was reinforced when I took IG's armorers course. IG said the same thing and he has worked on a larger number and a wider variety of ARs than anyone I know of. You can ask everyone on the internet which is better, but you won't know for yourself until you jump in with both feet and get the experience needed to decide for yourself.

There is nothing wrong with the reliability of the current Colt 6920 series. In particular, there is nothing wrong with the reliability of the Colt M4A1 SOCOM. It is as close to what Colt sells to the military as a civilian can legally own. The BCM isn't any more reliable than the Colt. I imagine it isn't any less, once any potential extractor spring issues have been dealt with. Although you cannot go wrong with the BCM, I would pick the Colt because the Colts I have had personal, hands on experience with have been positive. More than just positive, they just run right. Better precision without sacrificing reliability or durability? Yes, please. Taking IG's armorer's class only reinforces this choice.

My blunt advice is shut up, buy an AR (insert plug for Colt M4A1 here), a few mags, enough ammo to Scrooge McDuck in and shoot until you have as many empties.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 08-27-19 at 11:13.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    You're overthinking this to the point I'm starting to think you're on the spectrum. Buy a Colt SOCOM barrel, and shoot the crap out of it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Get a KAC and be done with it.

But if you want to skip the proprietary parts, LMT, Larue, Triarc, ADM, and Radian will do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Get an HK. Just because

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast